Sore in the lower lip (inside the mouth)

Divgaea

Post   » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:13 am

Hello,

I noticed today that one of my guinea pigs (Age: 4 years and 4 months) was facing difficulties in chewing his food. He's been active and asking for food as usual. So, I looked inside his mouth and noticed a little sore that looked white and red on his lower lip on the inside which made it difficut for him to chew. He's able to eat his dry food as usual because that doesn't require him to use his front teeth but veggies have been difficult for him to chew since today morning. Could someone let me know if this is a cause for concern or if it is like a heat boil or sore that humans get which goes away on its own? Going to the vet in the middle of COVID has been tough but please let me know what I can do and if the vet visit is necessary.

Thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:04 am

Is there any whitishness in his mouth? Guinea pigs can get various viruses or oral yeast infections though they don't happen often. And yes, if it was a virus, it would go away on its own.

You want to start weighing him daily right now to know for sure if he is eating enough. Other complications happen if a guinea pig starts losing weight and does not eat enough hay to keep its teeth in check.

Divgaea

Post   » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:51 am

I looked into his mouth today and it looks like he probably bit himself. He is getting hungry and asking for food the same way but I noticed that today he did not eat any of his green peppers even though i sliced it really thin. He ate about 3/4 of the dry pellets i had given him but he left the rest. He ate his lettuce and dry food properly last night though.

But since there no white visible right now, I don't know if its a virus. If he did bite the inside of his mouth, would it heal quickly?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:03 am

Sometimes teeth can overgrow and/or develop spurs which could cause injury to the mouth. A thorough dental exam would help with diagnosis. Either an experienced veterinarian or veterinary dentist who had worked with small animals like guinea pigs is the best choice.