Pumpkin Spice's Medical Thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:36 pm

It's possible. I don't know what the ingredients are for the banana flavoring that they are using, and I would imagine that they use just a tiny amount in guinea pig meds, but most of them do have artificial sweeteners like Sucralose that *can* they can cause gas or diarrhea. You could certainly ask your vet about it.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:01 pm

Okay, I suppose I'll give them a call on Monday! Wasn't sure if I was thinking too much into it. I appreciate ypur input!

Currently I'm laying down next to Pumpkin's cage and listening to him chow down on his hay. I can't think of better ASMR than that, lol!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:31 pm

The banana flavoring is likely a very small component - Pinta claimed years ago that trying to flavor bitter tastes is more for us than them.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:01 am

One of the vets I had flavored the antibiotics with butterscotch. I don’t know what they used, but Lacey loved it. Wish I could get some for the vitamin C drops I bought. Little stinker Gidget can detect 1 drop spread on a corn husk and I’m getting the side eye from her.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:14 am

Hello all, I have another question I've been wondering about. The new metoclopramide we got from the lesser experience vet was 5mg/ml, whereas our older stuff is only 1mg/ml. The 1mg/ml we were giving him was 0.7 cc every 12 hours, so I use 0.15 cc of the newer stuff, the 5mg/ml every 12 hours. Will this be an adequate dose to help him with his bloat? I'm almost worried that having less liquid going in him might not be as effective as opposed to having more, if that makes sense?

So is 0.15 of the 5mg/ml solution going to be enough? I did my math over on the dose calculator portion of this website, but I was hoping to maybe get some feedback on that.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:30 am

What is his current weight?

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:26 pm

So, conveniently enough, the metoclopramide is actually still just the 1mg/ml, so nothing has changed about his 0.7 cc dosage. And I also called my regular vet that prescribes his Gabapentin, and they said that the flavoring has never been known to cause digestive upsets in any of the patients they've had use it, so I suppose that's another thing to check off the list of possible irritants.

He hasn't had hardly any vegetables for a few weeks, and if he has, they've been small amounts. He's been primarily eating oxbow timothy hay, timothy based grain free pellets, and oxbow tablets of several kinds. So I feel as though he's had a rather bland diet that shouldn't be causing too much of an issue? I did recently switch out his usual pellets for the newer grain free ones, but I did that over the course of a week and a half and it was after his first bloat episode.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:31 pm

So, we're back and it's not good. Pumpkin hasn't eaten anything on his own for most of the day, though he looks interested here and there. He also has been alot quieter than normal. A few hours ago I noticed he had a piece of hay stuck in his top incisors, and luckily I was able to pull it out. He was right as rain yesterday, so I think it has something to do with that hay piece getting stuck. However, even afterwards, he's still not eating on his own, so I have been feeding him critical care. He usually fights the syringe to get more of it when I feed it to him, but I've been having to hold him down in a towel to give it to him. He also has been spitting up some of his meds when I've been giving him them, which is also odd.

We have an appointment for Saturday, being that was the soonest we could see our local exotics vet. I'm going to be home until then, so I will be giving the little guy around the clock care. I feel incredibly helpless however, since this isn't his typical bloat episode, which I think he may have started developing from not eating.

Currently he's on his normal meds, plus 1mg/ml Metoclopramide at 0.7 cc every 8 hours. Plus the critical care every 4 hours or so.

I suppose I'm trying all that I can do to help him, but when I don't know what's wrong, it's really hard. Especially since he won't see the vets for another day.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:14 pm

Do you have any Metacam you could give him this evening?

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:30 pm

Yes, he is currently on 0.22 cc of the dog metacam every 12 hours.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:39 am

We were able to find a vet to see him at 2 pm today, so I'm hoping he can hold out until then. Right now he is lying down on my bed, and he's gotten quite weak. I went to pick him up out of the cage but he didn't even try to run from me. I am debating whether I should continue his feeds since he has deteriorated so much since yesterday, and if I should treat this time as special time that I still have left with him. I have tried to keep a pig here against his will before, and I regretted not having him PTS sooner. But we shall see what our vet thinks this afternoon.

I will try to update, especially if things turn around. But I'm thinking they won't, as he hardly has any energy to move around. I don't want it to seem like I'm giving up on him, but I know I would be trying and trying to keep him here for my own selfish reasons. So many things are up in the air right now with him, but again, I will update. I hate seeing him like this.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:39 pm

We just got home from the vet not too long ago, and the vet believes from both the combo of metacam and gabapentin that they could've created stomach ulcers, hence why he has had recurring bouts of bloat and gas. He sent us home with a med that is supposed to help coat the stomach to relieve the discomfort, but past that, we don't have many options other than PTS if he doesn't improve.

They checked his teeth as well, and found nothing off. He said they looked great with nothing stuck from what he could see.

So now I have an appointment for him on Monday if this new med doesn't kick in to have him PTS. If he deteriorates faster, we can go in sooner, but I don't know if that'll be necessary just yet.

God, this is always so hard, but I don't want him in pain. He's such a good boy and I love him so much.