June - Sludge in Urine

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:37 pm

As much as she'll drink.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:48 pm

If you are feeding lettuce, dip it in water to get more moisture to her. Or what I've done is put a shallow dish of water in the cage with peppers and lettuce in the water. Then she'll have to eat the wet veggies which will help.

GuineapigM

Post   » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:59 am

Hi everyone,

This isn’t related to sludge but I’m posting it here because it’s for June. Due to oil from her glands near her bottom her fur is becoming discoloured orange. As a result I have been cleaning her bum regularly with soft paper towel with warm water diluted scentless body soap. The trouble is the June hates it when I wipe her bum, she whines and sometimes has tried to nip me. I used to hold her up the process and had tried putting her on a table so she can feel comfortable.

I’m looking for suggestions on how to keep her a little calmer and make this process less stressful for both of us. Thank you!

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:22 am

I suggest rewards.. Plenty of them first you can try with salad rewards(prepare them prior cleaning) if its not working you can try something she doesnt get on regular basis and really loves like parsely.:). My pig was once called restless by ex vet..well he s brilliant, defenetly not restless, but if he doesnt trust you all its useless, but i love that..and he is almost border collie like hyper active, so i know what you mean... :)good luck and aint it easier with normal towel?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:19 am

Rewards is a great idea!

I also suggest using cold pressed coconut oil because you can apply it and leave it on without messing with it for 15 minutes or so then find a soft cloth to wipe it off. If she hates it, it may mean the area is sensitive and hurts to mess with so the least amount of messing with it, the better.
https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html#grease_gland

Note is there is any odor of infection in the area or redness, irritation. Make sure she doesn't have mites.