Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:36 pm

Hello, all. I recently found something new when i went to give my female pig some pets. I will attach an image from gdrive. I found a bald spot on her lower right side just above her right lower leg. I know it could mean a few things but i also should mention she is around 5 years of age based of off my assumptions when she was rescued back when i adopted her and her pair who is resting in heaven.

Other things to note is it has been hot some days and she likes to sit on top of wet spots whether they be wet spots near the water bottle or her own urine. I tend to place rags to help dry those areas and interchange them till dry but she sometimes makes her way to them anyways. Your input would be much appreciated.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:49 pm

i remember a while ago an ovarian cyst was a possibility because she does have crust around both of her nipples. I did do the scan but they did not find anything. My vet told me it could well be that it is due to her age but seeing these bald spots now makes me think otherwise. she has been eating, drinking and coming out of her hut on her own with no differences in her every day life.

I did not notice any rashes or anything in the middle or around the bald spots as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Your picture is very clear. When I zoom in, it looks extremely peculiar. Either like the skin is folded or there is some unusual growth/parasite on the skin. No idea.

Do you by any chance have a digital microscope? They are very cool, quite inexpensive IMO and would tell you more about the surface of the skin.

Does the skin itself seem crusty? fungusy? unusual?

This is what I see when I zoom in:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:24 am

You might also increase her daily allotment of vitamin C. Aim for about 40-50 mg. per day. I had an elderly pig with hair loss on her sides, and increasing vitamin C cleared it up.

What kind of bedding do you use? You might want to consider fleece, as it wicks the moisture through and leaves the pig with dry bedding.

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:05 am

I think the folded skin is maybe because I am holding her up. No, I don't have a microscope to be able to check. I re checked it and the best I can describe it is as soft as a baby's bottom or soft feathers but extra soft. No bumpiness, no crust or discolors, i assume fungusy would be slimy? But it didn't feel out of the ordinary when touching the area. I provided a more in front view as well showing the extent and probably a better view. I use flash to take the picture as well.

The bedding I use is fleece. I have 2 big ones and interchange them when one needs a wash.
I give her pellets every other day and sneak in a bit of baby carrots sparingly. Every day, she either gets a good slice of green or red peppers as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:53 am

Here's one I have (Plugable), open box for a mere $20!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174751250167?_ ... 101224.m-1

Not open box for $40 (also available on Amazon, Walmart, and New Egg):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262361512520

https://plugable.com/products/usb2-micro-250x/

There are other manufacturers but I really like these guys and have had mine for some time (they go on sale now and again).

Thanks for the new pic and explanation. It does look like it is merely loose skin. I take it you weigh regularly? Once a week is recommended. Check this for other causes of hair loss.
https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:03 am

I'd also suggest making some smaller fleece pads (with absorbent backing) and put them in places where she pees a lot. They can be much more easily replaced for washing than the larger fleece that covers the whole cage.

Does your absorbent layer wick well, or does the fleece stay wet?

Anything you can do to keep the environment dry should help.

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:48 am

I'll take a look at the microscopes.

I gave no clue how to make a small fleece pad that can absorb before.

The very first big fleece bed i noticed started to have some absorbance issues. Probably near its end for use but the one inside her cage right now is one that still has allot of life left but seeing as I bough the 2nd one a good amount of months after the first, I probably expect the same maybe early next year. What I do is I tend to shift the hut and hay bin in opposite sides since the hay bin blocks a good portion underneath it so it is super clean and not soiled to give one side a break.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:51 am

Cut pieces of fleece about 12-14 inches square. Cut squares of absorbent material (towel, mattress padding, whatever) about an inch smaller all around than the fleece. Fold the fleece over the edges of the absorbent material and sew it down, either by hand or with a machine.

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:54 am

I will give it a shot this week. Just have to do research were around my local area sells fleece. It can be any towel aka bath towels or something else?

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:33 pm

I found some microfleece which I feel would be better since I have seen her (and the male when he was alive) both love to bite any kind of towel or rug so she won't consume threads and towel fibers. Also found some absorbent pads that are washable as well.

Also forgot to mention she weights 886 grams as well. Will monitor her weight much more frequently just incase.

Do you guys think she is losing hair due to her laying on wet spots through the cage?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:19 pm

It is possible - depends on wetness, position, etc. You would likely smell an odor and my guess there would be skin issues that were more serious.

Regular towels don't seem to work too well anyway. I used to find they got smelly pretty quickly. The microfleece is very soft.