Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:02 am

she has not stopped pooping so far. i gave her another motility dose before her last critical care feeding for good measure to be sure she keeps pooping. she still looks bloated but not as bloated. i found her under the towels this morning so she is more inclined to move more or something startled her when she happened to come out her hut and ran. either or lmao

i will weight her when i finish making my breakfast. i expect her weigh to be reduced.

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:48 pm

her weigh is 847 grams. less then yesterday but not as low as i assumed.

i tried to give critical care with the 1 cc syringe (tip cut off) and all 3 of the ones i prepared was so hard to push the plunger. if i pushed even harder, the stick holding the plunger would snap. i tried cleaning the inside of the syringe incase it was sticky but nothing changed. had to resort to the big syringe for feeding.

i did learn how much strength to push so the big syringe can dispense enough so she cant push it out of her mouth half way through the session.

puffin

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:09 pm

When I was first struggling with CC feedings, I bought a bunch of 0.5 ml syringes and would fill those with a big syringe. I didn't need to cut the tip off and with the consistency I was using for CC, it worked pretty well. The advantage of the 0.5 ml was that I could basically squeeze the contents into my pigs mouth without stressing that it was too much food. Eventually I got to where I could use a 10 ml syringe and estimate about a 0.5 ml at a time, but it sure is an art form! Hoping your little girl gets better soon!

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:43 pm

i appreciate it. me too

something i forgot to mention is she ate all her breakfast this morning by herself. hopefully she does the same thing later for lunch.

i thought in the beginning that maybe her bloat is cause by not pooping and it accumulating (which is still a possibility) inside but i am having a feeling it may not be that. i haven't seen any proof yet but it is just a feeling.

she does react to my hand allot more then before when she could not poop and she vocalized this morning when i let her smell my hand that had touched lettuce (to hype her up while i wash them)

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:08 pm

i don't even think i am getting her actual weigh because i am sure the bloat is making her seem more heavy so i guess i don't have an accurate weigh at the moment

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:34 pm

she still is in pain even after the increased ml of metacam. she still goes out of her way to get out her hut to uncover the fleece to bite the towel under.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:45 pm

Will she chew on hay?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:01 pm

Some of her pain could be from being bloated and not able to poop. Maybe once her gut has stabilized, she will start to feel a bit better. Is she drinking plenty of water?

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:57 pm

she had nipped hay and sometimes eat a tiny strand. the closest to eating hay is eating some flower buds.

she does not drink water on her own. i have been syringe feeding water since post op day 1. she has smelled the tip of the water bottle and then leaves. the water level has been the same.

she has not stopped pooping since i have started giving her the motility meds so right now she can poop. if i don't spot clean, it piles on and makes a mess since she would sit on them.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:34 am

Gastric disturbance can be very painful. If she has that, which happens after surgery, she will be reluctant to drink, eat or both. I wouldn't consider nibbling on hay tops or veggies eating properly. My guinea pigs forage the hay in their cages almost constantly when healthy. The only time they aren't doing that is when they're sleeping. Even when they play or are running around, they snatched up scraps and eat them between laps around their cages chasing each other.

I don't use bowls for their pellets or hoppers for their hay. It all goes directly into the cage for them to forage up. I do it because I firmly believe that foraging is a natural guinea pig behavior and I want to encourage them to do it. With fleece bedding, it is easier to do this. It also necessates changing the bedding more often, but since I'm retired, I have the time. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. The point is that your pig should be eating more. I see that you understand this and you are doing the right thing by giving her water and feeding her by hand to compensate for what she's not getting on her own.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:25 am

I like that foraging idea, Renovsparky. Can provide a little competition in finding the pellets!

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:33 am

it could be Gastric disturbance but i am still concern of the bloat. i want to say it did go down but it still looks uncomfortable to me.

Ever since she started pooping again because of the motility meds, she has been more reactive when someone passes by her (pokes her head out of her hut) and vocal (for veggies or veggie bag noises) which was a nice improvement.

i made sure to wake up a bit early to get a good weigh in for her this morning and she came in at 821 grams. she was 847 grams yesterday (i believe she ate some veggies with that weight).

she has her check up this Friday as well.