Eye ulcer snd vet visit

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:55 pm

You wrote, "they [the teeth] are well trimmed currently".

Did your vet trim the teeth? This can make eating difficult.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:30 pm

i meant they as in her teeth and naturally trimmed it herself with hay and pellets. the surgeon also checked her teeth Wednesday and throat before she went to feel for her stone.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:56 pm

What size syringe are you talking about?

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:03 am

It wasn't exactly a full syringe worth cause I find it uncomfortable pushing the plunger from the most it can hold so about 75% of this syringe. The name on the syringe is called monoject 412 syringe

Also, this is the first time she has pooped this way. I heard a noice when that long one came out and went to check. Also something to note, the flash really amps those spots and with my eyes I dont see those spots. Could be small calcium powder but she also bleeds when she pees so either or can make stains but im just guessing.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:12 am

You're using a curved tip syringe? That has a very narrow tip. Are you snipping the tip off?

I'm guessing those poops are the result of the antibiotics. Are you using probiotics with her?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:40 am

I can't edit my above post (waited too long), but the Handfeeding page talks about using a 1ml syringe for handfeeding, and is much easier (and generally safer) than trying to use something larger:
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

If you're using a curved tip syringe, even with the tip snipped all the way off I really can't see how you're able to get CC out of it unless it is very watery?

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 am

Yes the tip was snipped and sanded and it works very well.

I stopped the antibiotics 2 days ago to see if she would eat a bit more which has worked in a way. She has also been coming out on her own more and drinking water on her own more as well. I have seen her scavenging for her specific strands of hay. Makes me more comfortable when I have to sleep.

No I am not using probiotics with her. No one every brought it up. She hasn't ever said no to veggies yet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:43 am

With the snipped off 1cc syringe, you have complete control of the rate you are giving the CC. You also have a much more accurate idea of the amount of food you are giving (so long as most of it is eaten).

The snipped off 1cc syringe is not at any point restricted so you control the rate. With a larger syringe, there can be temporarily a blockage that, if more force is applied, can cause too much to shoot out. While it is nice to have it all in one syringe, you do not have as much control and can only estimate amounts.

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:28 pm

i didn't have a good syringe for critical care so i had asked the vet if they could give me one. that was the one they gave to me so i made it work. i have yet to get blockages but the plunger is sensitive to touch

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:28 pm

Happy to hear you’re seeing some improvement with her appetite. My previous guinea pig reacted to Baytril and it took about 4 days for her appetite to return to normal. I hope she continues to get more interested in her food.

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:54 pm

thing is, i think the surgeon wants me to give her the antibiotics started again before her operation. i dont want her to go back to not eating before the operation on tuesday

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:19 pm

I always use probiotics when giving antibiotics, just to be on the safe side. Acidophilus is easy to come by, and you can either mix it in the CC (after it has been heated up, if you are nuking it) or sprinkled on veggies. The thought is that probiotics can help re-populate the "good" bacteria that gets wiped out along with any "bad" bacteria that is being treated with the ABs. I generally continue to use it for up to a week after stopping the meds.