Will antibiotics/NSAIDs cause a peeg to lose its appetite?

kaylakent

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:08 pm

My boy HAL has been on antibiotics and NSAIDs for almost a week now, due to what the vet thinks is otitis media (middle ear infection) which caused him to have partial face paralysis :(. HIs appetite has been up and down all week, but last night he wouldnt eat the lettuce i stuck in front of him (though he did sniff it and nibble it like he was interested in it) and he only ate part of the carrot i gave to him.

Today he's not interested in any veggies, hes eaten some hay a little bit but just seems super lethargic and he's definitely lost weight over the last week.

Is it possible this is a side effect from the meds hes on? Or should i panic and call the vet and get him back in sooner? He's set to go back in for a follow up next friday for the infection.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 pm

Yes, antibiotics can negatively affect appetite, as can (less often) an NSAID. If you haven't read this already, there is some helpful information on antibiotics use here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html
and here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

What drug is he on?

If he's not eating well on his own, he will need to be handfed in order to keep his gut moving properly. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

He will also need good hydration in order to avoid kidney issues while on the NSAID (I assume Metacam or similar?).

You should absolutely let your vet know what's going on.

kaylakent

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Thank you so much!!! I have critical care coming for him, as well as syringes. He seems so interested in food but unable to chew it well, so I'm super hopeful this will save his life until he gets through the infection. If he still isnt responding well after the critical care then I will definitely be taking him to the vet before his appointment next week.

He's currently on enrofloxacin oral, .4ml every 12 hours

You're correct with the NSAID too, meloxicam is the name. He's on a super low dose it looks like.

kaylakent

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:29 pm

I will say the one good thing is he has been drinking lots of water it seems. Which is a great sign i think! I think the facial paralysis is just making it hard for the poor boy to chew very well. :(

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Yes, good that he is drinking water. Until the Critical Care arrives, you can soak his pellets and make them into a mash. You can follow the instructions on the Handfeeding page on how to cut the end off of a 1ml syringe so that the mask will flow through the syringe and not clog it up. Some guinea pigs will eat it more readily if its warmed very slightly in the microwave, and canned pumpkin mixed into it may also help.

Do you have probiotics that you can start giving him as well?

kaylakent

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Yes, he has been on benebac probiotics since he started antibiotics. Also vit c daily (upped his dose too since this happened, he loves the flavor so he doesnt mind it haha) and lubrication drops for his eye on the side of his face thats paralyzed.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:10 pm

I'm currently on my second guinea pig needing handfed. It's not easy to hand feed some guinea pigs. Here's some advice on how to do it that works for me. Keep a bowl of water so you can rinse the end clean each time you draw the food. That will save you and your guinea pig a lot of cleanup. If the guinea pig is resisting the syringe, it could be because he is turned off by the food. Leave a little bit of room at the end of the syringe and draw a little bit of the water after you rinse it. Keeping the syringe clean and having water in the end that goes into his mouth first may help. It has the added benefit of getting extra water into him.

The best and most important advice I can give you is to take your time and be patient!! It's easy to injure him if you shove the syringe in too hard, grip him too tight, push the plunger on the syringe too hard or too fast. If he's struggling, try not to get frustrated with him. Just remember that you are doing what he needs to keep him going and help him get well. When it's over and done, you just might find that you and he have an even stronger bond. Good luck!

kaylakent

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Thank you so much for the advice!!! <3 I cant honestly tell yall how grateful i am for this info, i was feeling quite hopeless for his recovery until reading this.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Absolutely. He *must* have food moving through his system, so please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about handfeeding.

I will also add, if you aren't doing this already, that we generally suggest giving a probiotic about 60-90 minutes after administering the antibiotic.

Good luck---keeping fingers crossed for your little guy.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:47 pm

You're very welcome. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here and people are willing to share it. If you have the benebac powder, it helps to put a touch of critical care with it. Not a lot; just a quarter of a teaspoon or so is plenty and keep the mixture fairly thin. Not real watery, or else you'll have a lot more syringe fulls to get into him.The powder tends to crystalize when you mix it with water; unless you flood it. The pinch of critical care gives it something to bind with so it goes down easier.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:43 am

Are you weighing him daily? Weight is an excellent indicator of how well or poorly you pig is doing. It's good to know how much food is actually getting into him.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:28 am

Good info on the importance of weighing regularly here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html