Penny's Med Thread

Annapox

Post   » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:03 am

Yeah, sorry about the photo quality. I have trouble keeping my hands steady, so they're often a bit blurry. Penny's crusty stuff is less yellow and more brown than in your photo, but the non-crusty parts of the respective photos do look similar. So granulating is a good thing?

Penny has not yet escaped the sock, so for now at least it's doing a good job of preventing her from scratching the incision.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:21 am

Yes, granulating is a good thing. It is the creation of a base for skin, I believe.

Part of the yellow I think is what was applied to the healing incision by the vet. So not a natural part. But you can see the red/brown back color of the granulation.

Your picture is very small so I can't really see much detail and can't tell if it is focused optimally. But don't worry about it.

Annapox

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:22 pm

Good news: Penny's incision looks great, according to the vet. I was instructed to keep the sock on her until the scabs heal, though. I also found out that the lump on her butt was an abscess and that it was completely drained and cleaned out. The vet said it's likely that the abscess came about because Penny and her cage mate, Lily, played a little too rough at some point. (They do have small arguments over things like personal space and who gets which of the two almost-identical hideys, but they've never had an actual fight.)

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:32 pm

Thanks for the update. That’s great news and you must be so relieved.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:13 pm

Super! I am glad it seems to be healing fine.

Annapox

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:48 pm

The abscess Penny had removed and cleaned in September? It appears to be coming back, if that's something abscesses can do. The bump I found (pictured below) is in the same spot on Penny's butt as the bump that was removed in September. There's some crusty-looking stuff on it, and while Penny obviously wasn't thrilled when I started messing with the fur on her butt, touching the bump didn't seem to cause her additional stress. I'm going to call the vet in the morning, but any ideas as to what could be going on? Thanks!

[original]
[SHOW]

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:35 pm

If there was a sac containing the abscess and they didn't get 100% of it out, it's guaranteed to come back.

Annapox

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:37 am

Thank you, that's good to know. My vet had told me that she got everything out of the abscess; is it likely that she missed some and didn't realize it? Or is it more likely that there's something else going on? I called the vet and was told (by a recording) to go online to schedule an appointment because phone wait times were longer than usual thanks to the pandemic. So I'm taking Penny to the vet on Thursday, which was the soonest I could get an appointment with my regular vet, but I haven't had a chance to speak to anyone at the vet's office yet. I did send the vet's office the photo of the bump in case they might find it helpful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:00 pm

Yes, if she just cleaned it out, that may not have been enough. Sounds like surgical removal, which includes the wall of the abscess so it doesn't continue to reform, may be your best option.

Let me know if I can add your photo permanently to your topic for future readers.

Annapox

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:04 pm

Yes, you can add the photo permanently. Since Penny bounced back from her spay surgery pretty quickly and I'm not currently seeing any symptoms other than the bump, is it likely that (assuming there are no complications) she'd bounce back from this kind of surgery quickly as well? Or is there no way to know? (Of course I'll keep a close eye on her after the surgery either way; I'm just wondering.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:42 pm

If she is generally healthy (no heart issues) and likely to tolerate anesthesia well (though there are always risks), the surgery would be a lesser one and she'd likely recover fine. It is surgeries that are more major, like spays, stone removals, etc. where recovery can be much more complicated.

Annapox

Post   » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:00 pm

Back from the vet. It was a cyst this time, not an abscess, and it was full of whitish, waxy stuff that the vet said meant it wasn't infected. She said I can keep the area clean by wiping it down with a warm, wet paper towel and that if it comes back, I can leave it alone unless and until it starts causing Penny pain or leaking greenish pus. She also did a general wellness exam and determined that Penny is healthy. So that's a relief.