mammary tumor removal and anesthesia on senior guinea pig

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:39 pm

Critical Care lasts very well. The vitamin C content will decrease after a while, but at this point you are really trying to get calories into him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:04 am

Good points. Healthy calories rule.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:47 am

I’ve been keeping mine in the refrigerator. I just mix amount a teaspoon and she eats it at one time so I don’t have to store it after it’s mixed.

Luna1

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Thank you all. On a different note, is it ok to ask where you get your 2nd cut timothy hay from? I used to get it from SPS but my guinea pig doesn't like that one anymore. Then I tried Standlees hay, and he liked that one, but the last boxes I got were all first cut and he doesn't like that. I called them and they said probably until December they won't have the second cut. I am desperate to find a hay that he likes. I know some people get Oxbow or KMS hayloft, but the most recent one I ordered from KMS hayloft is old and dusty and can't reach their customer service. Any help is appreciated.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:33 pm

I get Oxbow but there's no way of knowing which cutting it is, it's just Timothy. My experience has been that the smaller bags, like the 40 oz. size, have been better quality than larger 90 oz and larger. It seems the larger the bag, the more course stalks, and my guinea pig doesn't care for that. Oxbow orchard grass has been good. And I just picked up a bag of Kaytee at Menards, which I know is a lesser brand. However, it's cut in shorter lengths and this was fairly green and smelled fresh. Lacey likes it, probably because it's something different. So at least I have a variety.

The other thing I started doing is making 2 small piles, at opposite corners of the cage with a tunnel of hidey in the middle. She thinks it's great that she can go back and forth between two different kinds of hay. Playing mind games with a guinea pig.

Luna1

Post   » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:24 pm

Thank you ItsaZoo, I just got the oxbow timothy too but Gerbil doesn't seem to like it. He has become so picky this last year, I am trying all different kinds/brands of hay and so far haven't found anything he likes other than the Standlees box I have which is going to finish soon :( I am going to try the KMS bluegrass hay next, we will see if he likes it...

On a different note, I have been trying to feed him critical care, but can't do it with a syringe, how much water do you use to make a paste? Do you use a 1ml syringe? Thank you!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:36 am

Critical Care is one part of the dry mixed with two parts warm water. A 1 ml syringe is too small, you’ll need at least a 3 ml. Cut the end off the syringe so you basically end up with a straight tube and a plunger.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:03 am

Even though the instructions say to mix 1 part to 2 parts water, I mix with 3 parts water. This makes it a little more liquid and easier to syringe. I also use a 1 ml syringe. Not ideal as it is small and you have to keep refilling it but it works. Definitely cut off the tip though or it will be too thick to syringe.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:16 am

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:25 am

Thanks for the feedback, I learned this tonight with Lacey. She's really tired of CC and I was using a 3 ml syringe and making it thicker. Tonight she'd had enough and just wouldn't take any more CC. But she still took water so I tried adding more water to the CC and using the 1 ml syringe. Worked like a charm - wish I would have known this sooner.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:45 pm

Yes, experiment with the consistency and see what she can handle.
I use a 6ml syringe and fill it from the top--I seem to be lazier than everyone else with their 1 and 3ml syringes!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:45 pm

For some reason, I used to be adept at drawing a syringe of cc from a small container using just one hand. I don't remember quite how I did it.