what's the latest about hormone injectons?

Tracy

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 8:21 am

So the shilintong works better in a concentrated dose? She is ingesting it with her syringe feedings, but I can see if she'll eat it from a syringe with just the herb (crushed) and water. Due to the smell, I wonder about the taste...that's partly why I've been "hiding" it in her slurries. And I definitely have not tried vibrations for Zuki.

Lynx, I'll email you photos soon I think the progression of her hair loss (then hair growth) may be helpful...pg 3 of this thread. Missing page 4 photos are less important, though some enjoyed her happy birthday photos. Thanks in advance for restoring them!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 9:04 am

I can only say that the only uses have seen have to do with it being given separately. I would also give the shilintong at a different time than a feeding.

Tracy

Post   » Tue May 31, 2022 9:57 am

Lynx, I'll send you those photos soon; thanks for posting since they dropped out when I cleaned my Flickr account.

New question: If Zuki has a yellow patch on her white fur that is not washing out with shampoo or diluted Hibiclens, does that mean it's stained and time to trim her hair back there?

She definitely is inflamed at her back end (this past week) and has had a wet bottom. When she was on a towel or blanket over the weekend I saw she repeatedly dripped a small spot of blood and somehow produces a larger wet spot that I can only guess is urine (it doesn't squirt out anymore). I'm doing butt soaks and alternating between hemorrhoid cream, diaper rash cream, and silvadene to treat her skin. Giving antibiotic for UTI (along with her usual metacam and syringe feedings). She's also kinda spaced out and not as interested in favorite veggies as she has been...perhaps due to discomfort (I hope not pain).

Hoping to help her round a corner again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 31, 2022 10:53 pm

Sounds like you have a reasonable plan. And I do think trimming her hair would be a good solution. I think there are some pet preparations that will clean dog hair, etc. but do not know if they are worth the trouble. I am sorry she is inflamed. Has to be uncomfortable.

For the photos, do not worry about resizing them.

What I need is a direct link to the post (if you right click on the little red turned down corner box, it gives you the url of that post. Select, "Copy URL".

Then in that post, tell me which image it is (first, second, etc.).

Tracy

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:13 am

I was gonna post this question separately, but I'll keep everything about Zuki together. Has anyone used Sherwood Appetite Restore?

Most of the time Zuki has been enthusiastic about syringe feedings to help her maintain weight -- pellets and millet ground into powder, plus water, a bit of shilintong for her calcium issues, sometimes veggie baby food (generally pumpkin or sweet potato), sometimes pea flakes ground into powder also (she doesn't like them in snack form). She's been helping herself to the syringe, one mouthful at a time, then she turns her head and won't take anymore when she's had enough and her tummy is full. We do this 2-3 times per day, since she doesn't eat enough veggies/hay/pellets on her own and is very low weight.

The past week, Zuki hasn't really wanted the syringe feedings. I sometimes need to hold her head and poke the syringe into her mouth to give it. She mostly cooperates, but she pretty much doesn't want it. I was thinking maybe the antibiotic for UTI had thrown off her GI bacteria, so I've added Benebac powder to the mix... though the same antibiotic hadn't suppressed her appetite other times she's been on it. She also hasn't been that interested in some of her favorite veggies.

I know she's geriatric (nearly 7 yrs), has struggled with calcium issues (sludge and stones), and gets recurring UTIs related to her abnormal urination. I also think she may have arthritis; with vet's approval Zuki gets daily metacam for her joints, inflammations, and any discomfort in her bladder or urinary tract. She doesn't seem in pain lately and definitely is sleeping more. As always, I'm trying to give her best quality of life for whatever time remains.

So now I'm brainstorming how to possibly stimulate her appetite back to what it was, when she was happy to take syringe feedings. I learned of this product online and ordered some: https://store.sherwoodpethealth.com/sar ... e-restore/ Wondering if any piggy people noticed a difference when their pet took this supplement; bunny owners seem to give positive reviews. Also curious to learn more about unflavored Pedialyte -- sounds like that's more for hydration, though many pigs like the taste? And best storage is to freeze it into cubes (since it doesn't last in fridge)?

Thanks for any other ideas for increasing appetite... or concocting a more delicious syringe feeding. Oh, this week I also juiced some veggies (pepper, cuke, and carrot) to mix with her homemade Critical Care, since she wasn't eating many veggies (was only enthusiastic about lettuce).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:31 am

I have used that product a couple of times in the past but didn't see that it did anything one way or another---which has been my experience with the other Sherwood products I have tried over the years. Not a fan. If I remember correctly, the "appetite restore" product also has sugars in it that could cause GI upset.

I think you'd be better off experimenting with CC. Just a thought here, but maybe try a B supplement to stimulate appetite? Your vet might be able to advise you on that. I've seen others here try Valium to help stimulate appetite, as it's commonly used in cats for that purpose, but I can't speak to effectiveness of it in guinea pigs. You may do a search here and see what turns up.

I truly wish (and have asked about it) that Oxbow would come up with a soft pellet diet for guinea pigs that are ill or recovering from illness as a transition food from Critical Care to hard pellets, or as a CC alternative.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:42 pm

Ditto Sef. Not a fan of anything Sherwood makes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:55 pm

The only thing I can throw in the mix is that Diazepam has been used as an appetite stimulant.

Tracy

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:00 pm

Time to close out Zukina's thread, unfortunately. She passed away on June 23, after about 36 hours going downhill (with a final weight around 572 grams). She had a will to live until the very end and definitely trusted me as I tried to improve her situation... and then when all I could do was attempt to comfort her and be with her. She died at the vet, moments before doctor was to perform euthanasia. I'll be picking up her ashes soon... which may be accompanied by little paw prints, based on her sister's remains from same facility.

I did want to report that the Appetite Restore from Sherwood maybe helped some. After Zuki's first dose she seemed to perk up a bit -- moving around more (with energy) and even some talkative chatter (which had stopped a while ago). But I'm not confident correlating her rally with the supplement, and her appetite did not really improve. By the way, the product is mostly a combo of several vitamin B's plus electrolytes.

Thanks to all who made suggestions through our challenges and cheered on my sweet girl. She lived more than two years after her diagnosis of cystic ovaries, with hormone injections to manage that (also did not die with bald patches), and more than a year beyond her stone removal. She enjoyed a friend named Maisy for 2.5 years (after her first pal died) and then another friend Pepita for 1.5 years (a happy trio). In two weeks she would have been 7 years old, bringing many smiles to her Human since I brought her home at about 6-8 weeks old.

If okay, I'd like to post three happy photos here. (Administrators can remove if not appropriate; I realize Chat may be the better forum.) Sending love and wishing you eternal happiness, little one!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:32 pm

I am so sorry you lost Zukina! She knew she was loved and she was adorable! Love picture 2 with teeth and tongue. Lovely markings and colours. RIP sweet darling. Run free in paradise in perfect health and eat the fresh green grass! When ever sad look into your heart and there she will be. Sending big hugs! She had a wonderful life with you!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:14 pm

Oh, what a lovely little sweetie. I am so sorry for your loss, Tracy. She truly did have a wonderful life with you, and knew that you tried so hard for her.

Hugs to you,
Sef

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:03 pm

She was such a beautiful girl. I especially love the first pic. I am so sorry you lost her but happy she shared so many years with you.