Sick Piggy! Need help!!

Hsayshi

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:26 pm

Progress report! He’s basically back to his old self :) he’s still a little itchy and getting used to his new fur.
https://ibb.co/PZjNZYr

Hsayshi

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:27 pm

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 pm

That's good news! How many doses of Ivermectin did he receive? Three? If so, and if he's still having some itchiness, you could go ahead and give him another dose or two.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:31 am

I looked at your earlier pictures and this is a big improvement! Ditto on the possibility another dose or two might help. Really severe cases can require multiple treatments.

Here's one of your updates:

Hsayshi

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:40 pm

He received 3 doses of the revolution after the one dose of ivermectin I gave him. I’m out of the revolution now, and feel he should probably get one more dose of ivermectin this coming Monday just to make sure it’s out of his system completely. He’s still kind of itchy though and has caused very small bite wounds, so I’m slightly worried about that. It happened overnight without a wrap on, so now he just has them on at night, but overall is doing much better. I’m not sure if I should just take them off and let him get used to being without the wrap, or if I should keep it on a bit longer.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 pm

When you wrap him, how often do you unwrap him and let his skin air? I ask because if a guinea pig's wrapped for long periods, the accumulated moisture and bacteria might be contributing to feeling itchy.

Hsayshi

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:11 am

I left it on while he was unsupervised for longer periods of time (which was usually just at night), but a few days ago I took it off to see how he did overnight. He did very well and is now permanently without them! He has practically made a full recovery! I was so scared of losing him and sad that he was in pain. He is so full of life and is such a happy and quirky piggy with a big personality. Thankful I’m able to share more time with him and that he is feeling better

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:18 am

Such a handsome boy. I'm so glad he is recovering well!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:34 am

I am sure you will continue to be vigilant and watch for any signs the mites were not completely knocked out. I am battling Northern Fowl mites with my chickens and because wild birds carry them and there are just so darn many, it is very hard to get rid of them with ivermectin alone (a drug which works on these mites too). Giving an extra treatment even when you think everything is cleared up might be a wise decision.