"Healthy" Piggie Peeing Blood.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:57 am

Do you have any pictures of the surgical site you would like to share? You can email them to me to post if so.

victoria15

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:40 pm

Bad news :'(

I was booked with different vet ("vet C") today. Basically, the cyst was not removed. The incision site was not closing because abnormal cells (cyst) remained. Another surgery would be the only solution.

At today's appointment, Vet C wondered why there still is a lump (and my mom wondered about this too... I was naive/dumb because after the surgery, the Vet A told me it was successful and was the right decision to go with removal) and basically, the skin is not forming back because of the abnormal cells (cyst). She told me that there is no infection so there is no need for antibiotics. When she squeezed the third hole (the bottom one), white "puss" like material came out (cyst). That was the area that I found very leaky (Jul 9) and it begin to form white crust (dried cyst). After the surgery, this white crust kept coming back at the same cite. I told her that "vet A said he removed the envelope." She said that it means that he did not remove it completely. During the appointment, Vet C asked me how my pig handled the anesthesia so she might have been already thinking about re-surgery. I think she was in the mode of "handling difficult situation" at the appointment. When I said things like, "I initially planned here to suggest moist healing" and she said the clinic have a manuka honey for that purpose. I responded back that I dont see the point of covering the cyst and is a waste of money to purchase that. Since the cyst do not kill an animal, leaving it as is could be the option (*she knew it will not be) but I told her she will chew on it and she can't wear the cone forever. While I was waiting for the cab around the reception, the Vet C came and told me that the surgical revision would be free. I didnt say anything but thank you at that time. I was holding tears. I think at this point, I am convinced that the surgery failed. It is unlikely that the Vet C would tell me it will be free of charge if I "might" get charged.

Now that I think about it, when I last saw the Vet A, he also said again about the cyst coming back (he said something like, "hope it does not come back"). At that appointment, my mother was with me and asked me, 'why does he say that? it was removed right?'

I cannot remember exactly how many times I went back to the clinic and sent pictures for advice because it was not healing. I would say about 3 times just to see the "technician" who told me that the incision site is healing well. That was such a waste of gas and time, too.

I am expecting a call from the clinic when they (vet A, C, and Vet "O", the "O"wner) discuss what happened or to plan what to do with my pig, I think. I don't know. I was in shock but I may have heard something about going back to Vet A again. Maybe my writing did not came across right, but the Vet C was kind and seemed more experienced than Vet A. There is no point of going back to Vet A so I hope Vet C would take over.

During the "healing" time, I was upset at times so I deleted some pictures. I will organize the remaining pictures and post them here. I will be back soon.

Thanks for reading.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:15 pm

I apologize that I am falling asleep at the computer (slept badly last night). I will reread this in the morning.

I am sorry you are still struggling with this.

victoria15

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:51 am

Hi Lynx,

I hope you had a good sleep last night. Thanks so much for showing care for my pig.

Please remove the pictures if it is too graphic.

Jul 7 - The vet A said the surgery was successful and the envelope was removed. I went to the clinic to pick her up at 5:30. The Vet A has already left. I saw the lump and I was confused, but was just glad that she came back. However, I felt why the incision site is so zig-zaggy but I just guessed, "maybe that's his way??" Also, the sewing seemed poorly done so I wondered if he left it to the summer or practicum student to sew it up or something (maybe you call them as trainee?).

Jul 9 - Incision site begin to leak clear red liquid. The clinic told us to come back: The technician saw her and said there is no problem. During these "check-ups', I was not allowed to go in and they just took my pig.

Jul 11 - I was suggested by Vet A to stop treating her with baytril and metacam because she was having a diarherra.
Jul 11 - Dried red blood cells along the incision site. Leaky at the bottom.

Jul 15 - Still leaky. The "mysterious" white crust formation (cyst). I tried pulling a bit gently but it was so deep into the skin.
Also, the dried blood, along the cut, is thicker than before.

Jul 16
- Contacted the clinic regarding the crust and was told to make an appointment around noon.
- Vet A does not work on this day.
- Then, I received a call from the clinic that I can just come and pick up baytril instead so I don't have to bring my pig. I told them that I have enough baytril at home because we stopped that after 3 days. I was asked questions like, 'did the vet tell you to?' Through the conversation, I did not think they made no update to my pig's medial record. The front said he will leave "a note" that I already have baytril to the vet, who was working on this day, on this matter (I think this Vet is Vet "O', the owner, if I am recalling it right). I called back about an hour later and I asked, "so my appointment was cancelled, right?" and the front male said "we were expecting you." I think I already wrote about this day above. That night, the incision site spliced open. She was in very bad pain. Limping. The clinic told me to come back in the morning.

Jul 17 - The technician took my pig from me and came back telling us it is healing well again. However, I was told to see Vet A in a week and start treat her with the baytril again to make sure it gets healed by the time I see him. Our family was confused how this can be healed since the incision was opened. Everytime scabs (dried blood cells) formed, it dried out and made the site bigger when they came off.
Since it had white crust again (so-called "possible infection"), I treated her with 5.0mg/kg baytril.

Jul 23 - The first hole.

Jul 25- I had an appointment with Vet A. He told us it is healing well and to come back in a month. He suggested to remove the cone because she probably won't be able to reach. I ignored his instructions and kept it on because I did not want the blame on my pig when something goes wrong... and it was going wrong. Before I was leaving, I was asked to make a payment. ... And I was like, for what? They told me to pay for the baytril that was prescribed for me to pickup few days ago. I said I am not picking that up and I explained already that I have enough.

Jul 27 - Two openings.

Jul 30 - I asked if the vet A still considers this is going the right way. I was told to come back again to see Dr's assistant. It made me exhausted very badly because I "knew" I was going to be told It's doing good! again.

Jul 31 - I had mixed feeling to go back because I did not see the point of seeing "an assistant' or technician because they've given up to treat her by themselves two weeks ago. The receptionist told me that I have an appointment with the different vet ("vet C' above). I double checked if it is with the doctor because I did not want to be sent back in a min or two last like 3 times. I wrote already how this appointment went. To add: I don't even think he left a record of the surgery. There was no detail left in the database. She said she will "talk" with him how it went.
It is growing larger daily.

Basically, my pig was put on anesthesia only to rip open the unruptured cyst, disturb it to give inflammation, and make the surgery even more difficult.

Now that I had time to think about the situation, I am pretty sure that some staff were aware that vet A failed but continued to hope my pig will somehow heal it. What are these "technicians" anyway? Didn't at least more than one vet see my pictures to give me advice? Were they randomly prescribing me antibiotics without looking at the pictures and records?

It is so scary how these people kept lying to me that it is healing well. If the re-surgery goes wrong or if it kills her, I cannot regret enough.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:40 am

These pictures are very helpful in trying to see what is going on and how clearly a problem still exists. I don't remember if I asked for permission to permanently add your photos to your topic but they could be very helpful to future readers.

A second surgery certainly seems necessary. I am glad they are doing it at no charge. With the images I posted above of another guinea pig, I believe one of the concerns was being able to close the site because skin was lost. Will vet C do the surgery? I hope the second surgery goes well.

You are such a diligent owner! She is still eating well enough, not losing any more weight?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:36 am

You need a new vet. Is there one available?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:10 am

I had noticed you were in British Columbia and mentioned we had a longtime member in Vancouver. You wrote:
" I live somewhat near Vancouver but I would need to take the ferry to get there."

It might possibly be worth your while to use the mailer to communicate with GL member Pinta, the person in Vancouver who might have some ideas regarding finding a good vet. Switching to vet C (if a good surgeon and knowledgeable about guinea pigs) seems a reasonable first step. You want the surgery corrected.

Continue to weigh regularly, monitor for pain. Not rereading but do you have pain medication? Pain will affect the ability/willingness to eat.

victoria15

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:13 pm

Hi, sorry that my posts are long. I give my permission to Lynx for using the pictures that I provided.

Overall - I asked Vet C to take over and she will return on Wednesday. My pig's surgery date is not set yet.

I purchased a bottle of metacam so I will be good for another 60 days, at least. As of now, she is not showing pain and she is eating well. She is gradually gaining weight, too.

Today, I asked for a medical record via email. I received a response that they will send me one when he "completes". I emailed back that the surgery was weeks ago. Then the response was that the doctors always want to double check. I called the clinic because Monday is a statutory holiday in B.C. and I wanted to hear something before the clinic closes. While waiting for the call, I received the medical record from the front. According to the notes on yesterday's appointment, it says that there is no surgical notes to refer to; but I got the surgical notes now so he wrote it yesterday or today. The front told me that Vet A will contact me as soon as his appointments for today end. I got a call from Vet A about an hour ago. He told me the plan is to have him do the surgical revision so I asked for vet C to take over. Vet C will return next Wednesday and then she will schedule my pig in.

The vet A explained to me that the surgery will involve bringing healthy skin from elsewhere. He said that it is called "flap." I think this is what vet C suggested on her notes: "I think the skin can be peeled back and remove the tissue to save the skin for closure."

Regarding the vet in Vancouver - She clearly looked tired taking a cab ride so I am not sure if she would be okay with the ferry... I am keeping in mind of your suggestions.

Other vet options - I was rejected by many clinics and I went to this clinic by elimination process.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:34 pm

I think we all want to be optimistic.

This may have been a complicated mass that was truly difficult to completely remove. I also would be more comfortable having vet C do the surgery. With any type of surgery like this (and certainly a second surgery), having enough skin to cover the area is definitely important. I don't recall hearing about other guinea pigs getting transplanted skin but since this is also a human procedure, I am sure veterinarians also use the technique.

If you like to do online research, I remember how interesting I found articles on "wound care".

I am encouraged she has a good appetite and you have pain medication to administer. Sending good wishes!

Thanks for permission to add the pics. I will go do that.

victoria15

Post   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:42 am

Vet C did the cyst removal surgery. It's only been 1day+ but so far, it is looking good!!! I am so happy and I kept looking at the picture of her butt during work today.

Vet C called me in the Wednesday morning and said that she will do my pig's surgery if the morning surgeries go smooth. I got a call in the afternoon so I ask my mom to drop her.

Before the surgery: graphic so I am leaving URL: ttps://imgur.com/Xcqze9T
The night before the surgery, I removed the cone of shame because it was giving injuries around her neck. As a result, she reached and ripped it open over the night.

SEE THE DIFFERENCE! - All images are taken on the day she had surgery -
Surgery Jul 7
- lump still exists, never healed, abnormal cells came back and grew really fast.

Revision surgery (free) on Aug 4
- Vet C performed external stitches because there was not a lot of skin. Unlike Vet A, she asked the technician (?) to see the cyst under microscope to make sure it's not a cancer (still waiting for a result). Vet C will be on vacation soon so I am glad it was done before that.
- :) :) :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:32 pm

This looks very encouraging! I sure hope it heals okay. Did she decide to prescribe antibiotics? Do you need to put the cone back on to avoid her pulling at the stitches?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:43 pm

If you have her wearing a cone, then see if you can retrieve some of her cecal poops and offer them to her to eat. They're very important for digestion, and she can't reach them if she's got a cone around her neck.