Worst Guinea Pig carer in the world or the unluckiest?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:49 pm

That looks normal to me. The vet apparently performed an abdominal castration vs. scrotal. From what I've read, abdominal neutering is quicker and there is supposedly less risk of infection vs. incisions made on both sides of the testes. Here are sample photos of the incision post-op on both procedures:

Scrotal neuter on the left; abdominal neuter on the right [source: Comparative study of 2 surgical techniques for castration of guinea pigs, Isabelle Langlois, DVM, Montreal]

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Ah OK. That wasn't explained to us. I was going by what I found on the web.

So that is the incision we need to keep clean. I had been cleaning it anyway but was puzzled why I couldn't see any incisions elsewhere

Thanks

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:46 pm

I think there are a variety of protocols. Two are described on this page.
http://cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

One says"Make 3/4 inch incision over proximal 1/3 of scrotal sac and express testicle and associated fat pad."

The other says "A small incision is made through the scrotum and tunic."

This doesn't appear to be either of these protocols but so long as it was safe and thorough and results in a neutered guinea pig I think you are fine.

[edit]
I didn't see Sef's post when I posted. Great pics, Sef! And I would think that the abdominal incision should result in less possibility of infection.

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Lynx that was one of the sites i was looking at so was puzzled why I didn't see two incisions lower down.

He seems to be doing well. Weight is holding steady and he is eating and pooping well. No sign of lethargy or changes in personality. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:42 pm

A little nervous at the moment.

It is roughly 59 days since the missus had put our little boy in with the girls, before he was neutered, and this week Chunky's weight jumped up 114g . That is up just over 10% on last week.
I read that if she was pregnant her weight would be up a lot more than that (50% above her normal weight) and I couldn't feel any movement in her belly so I hope it just her piggging out due to the colder weather (there is a reason we called her Chunky in the first place as she has always been a big girl) as the other twos weight has crept up slightly recently as well, but even so I wont be happy until we get to the end of the month with no patter of tiny paws.

On the plus side Piglet seems to have made a good recovery from his Neutering and is still the same bouncy, hoppy, friendly boy he was before the op and his weight is back up to where it was before he got snipped as well. So hopefully we can start the introduction process tonight or tomorrow as it will have been 6 weeks since his op at that point. I hope there are no issues.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:28 pm

I hope for no issues as well. He should enjoy the company!

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:00 am

So Introductions are underway.Piglet is obviously happy after ^+ months in solitary but Chunky is making it clear that his attentions are not welcome. A few tustles and lunging but no biting or blood so far. He is a year younger them them and a little over excited I think.

Chunkys' weight is down about 30g today so i am hoping that it is just her eating that caused the big jump but she had dropped 80g the week before

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 am

That should say 6+ months. Things seem to have settled down a bit now Chunky appears to have set some boundaries.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:38 am

Fingers crossed!

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:25 pm

Well I think we are in luck. No major issues but the girls do have to give Piglet the occasional nip when he sticks his nose in places they would rather he didn't. I think part of it is down to him being about a year younger than them and also having been by himself for so long, I think the fact that he now has company has got him a bit carried away.
Nala and Suzi will just give him a quick bop on the nose if he gets too over familiar however Chunky will chase him off and chatter at him if he gets to frisky.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Ha! Well, sounds like he may need to learn the hard way, but it's encouraging that they all seem to be getting along fairly well.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:01 am

Heartbroken at the moment

I came home to find that Nala was not being as active as she usually is. Not hunched up but just laying out on her side. There was no harsh breathing sounds, no sign of crusty eyes or nasal discharge but her breathing was quite noticeable. I could see her chest rise and fall with each breathe
Thinking that she might be in pain I gave her a dose of meloxicam

An hour later I decided to try and give her some critical care, she took a tiny bit but started getting restless so put her back in the cage and she just flopped over on her side and couldn't stand. She has been like that for about 45-60 minutes now. I can't see any signs of breathing but her eyes are open and bright and she is still very soft and floppy ike she is unconcious. The missus thinks she is dead but she just seems unconscious to me, when we lost Mu Mu rigor mortis set it fairly quickly but Nala is just limp.

I am at a loss as what to do at the moment other than to make her comfortable and hope that whatever it is passes until we can get her to a vet tomorrow.

Any thoughts, ideas suggestions?