Eye Infection/Pumpkin Thread

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi, guys. My little girl Pumpkin, is having issues with her left eye. I woke up today and her eye was almost closed the whole way, with gunk around it. I immediately started her on bactrim and started using Gentamicin sulfate eye drops. I was just curious, she is still having trouble opening her eye and it looks a little sunken. Any suggestions? I also have had to clean her eye a few times of gooey's. Should i just keep using a warm wash rag, as i have been, or should i be doing something different? How soon should i see a difference in how she is holding her eye, or the discharge? Even while i am typing, she is horking down veggies. But, she has been more tired recently, and after i cleaned her eye a while ago, she layed on me and 'slept'(sleeping, rolling around, moaning at me for moving, ect.) for about 45 minutes.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Can you gently pry it open and see if there's anything stuck in it? It sounds to me like a hay poke. If so, it's probably very painful, and needs vet attention.

Also, I'm not sure at all that bactrim will do anything for an eye infection.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Actually, i just got finished flushing her eye with water/syringe about an hour ago. I couldn't see any hay particles, but her eye immediately looked better. And now, about an hour later, it still looks better. I think you were right! I'll not give her anymore bactrim, but do you think i should still give her eyedrops?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Yes, I'd give her the eyedrops. And if any more goop accumulates on it, I'd flush it again. If it continues to do that, the locus of the infection is still in the eye, and it will vet treatment.

meganmarie

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:30 pm

okay, awesome. Thank you so much. I will be sure to take her to the vet if it persists!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:15 pm

I am real good at spending other people's money, but I think I'd take her to the vet anyway.

Ditto bpatters' advice, but debris can become lodged well in back of or above the eye where you can't see it. If that happens, it can cause problems down the road, and you'd need the vet to get it out. Abundance of caution and all that.

Otherwise, you're doing the right things. Best to her and to you, and please let us know how she's doing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 am

I was equally worried about something still being in the eye. There are lots of warnings on the eye page!

https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:30 am

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Yes, thanks.

meganmarie

Post   » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:05 pm

hey guys, long time no see. Pumpkin is now 8 years old, and has been suffering from arthritis. She has had it really bad for about a year now, and has been prescribed metacam. Her arthritis is so bad her back legs are almost fused together, and she hops. It seems like metacam is no longer cutting it any longer, by itself. She's showing pain, laying down more, slowing down...anything I could use with the metacam that has been useful to help with pain? Or in place of it? Your experiences?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:25 pm

I had an eight-year-old pig like that. The vet told me there wasn't anything suitable other than metacam. I gave it to her for months until it was no longer effective, then had her euthanized.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:33 am

Have you talked to the vet about other pain meds? Or anything that would make her more comfortable, like a warming pad? It would be helpful to have a discussion with the vet to make a decision about her quality of life if she really struggles to get around. I wish you all the best.