Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:46 pm

I was thinking of using Bio-Sponge but (a) not available in Australia-most part and (b)the ones I have found are way too expensive. Then I remember years ago around 10 years ago, some-one using charcoal on their piggy for similar issues. Can anyone (a) confirm this and (b) how one would go about it. Thanks Lynx for reply can always depend on you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:12 am

I believe Bio-Sponge's main ingredient is bentonite. Bentonite is a clay that expands when wet. It also apparently will help deal with harmful bacteria. I do not know what a safe dose might be but perhaps 1/2 the dose of the Bio-Sponge. Bentonite is more readily available.

Look this over too:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... &p=2286521

By the way, if you do a search of bentonite, you will find sodium bentonite and bentonite have been listed as ingredients in multiple guinea pig pellets.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:31 am

I've bought this hoping it was the right thing. Can you confirm or unconfirm? https://sconeequinegroup.com.au/bio-sponge-paste/ Will remember Bentonite ! Maybe cheaper to buy! Thanks Lynx!

Is this the right stuff for future reference? https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_fro ... +&_sacat=0

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Those are the products. GrannyJu1 used to first product with some success.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:22 am

Okay took Jill too the vet and not normal vet but have seen her before. She had done research and found out dental issues can cause the runs in piggies. and something wrong with uterus. Something that opens and closes.

First point of call she wants Jill of the Oaten hay-too many carbo's. Then of the couch (is that right spelling?)And all grass as too much water in it. Then no veggies for 2 weeks. No Timothy hay or pellets. I said to her what about C&C? She said that's Okay. Then I said but it's got Timothy hay in it. So she said she would look into that. Looking into all hay's.

She also mentioned blood test for hyperthyroid. So in other words big bucks for all these test! Good news is Jill has put on weight regardless of runny poops. Now 820grams.

She put on VIN about irritable bowel disease and not one vet USA, UK anywhere had heard of it.So will keep you posted. Just hope I know more.Oh she said to slowly reduce Metomide so when Bio-Sponge comes she can go straight onto it. Plus she'd look into dose rate etc.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:26 am

It is possible the oaten hay has too many carbs (higher sugar content). I don't understand the restrictions on grass unless they are for specific grasses. Do not understand the restrictions on timothy hay. Pellets can be higher in carbs. I believe Critical Care does have carbs (ingredients include grains), more than timothy hay IMO. The recommendations for Bio-Sponge on the diarrhea page came directly from the manufacturer (though it was some time ago). Still critical to get adequate nutrients. The CC can help a lot with this.

I wish you luck.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 am

Restrictions on grass is she believes they are 95% water and with mushy poops she believes the grass(ALL) grass is not helping! Timothy hay she thought like other hays too many carbs and as a grass hay may have too much water in it.

For now she is on grass, Meadow and Timothy hay, pellets(she only eats maybe 10 a day)and C&C. If poops stay mushy will have to cut out the grass. Jill will NOT be happy! Thanks Lynx. She has mentioned vitamin C a few times would this help? I thought C&C had it in it?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:44 am

Based on what my vets have said, the two essential things a pig needs are timothy hay & vitamin C (and water if there's no other source, like veggies). The hay is all dried out, so I can't think it has 95% water. And you add water to CC to mix. ???

I'm pretty sure CC has vitamin C, but it's not very stable, so the CC may not actually have as much as the package says.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:50 am

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:23 pm

I would give vitamin C too.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:51 pm

Last time I use vitamin C Jill went off her food so for the moment reluctant to use it. Grass she claimed also 95% water. Hay carbo's. At present she is on grass, and Meadow and Timothy hay. The pellets are there if she wants them though she rarely does.

Bought Bio-Sponge on line so am waiting for that to come. In meantime reducing the Metomide to once a day. Have not heard from vet so am guessing wet test(what ever that is) showed no parasites or bacteria as didn't hear from vet. She said if it showed anything she'd get back to me last night. She's not back on till Friday now.

Jill is not happy she is not getting her carrot and baby spinach leaves and squeaks nearly all the time. Poor baby will just have to get use to it, but I do feel bad about it. Damn antibiotics!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:00 am

After doing a little research, I see that carbs in hay and grass are an issue for horse owners. There are a lot of articles on carb content of grass hay and seed hay. Oat grass and fresh grass have a high sugar content while timothy hay and orchard grass hay are much lower. As far as moisture, the hay I have is 12% to 15% max according to the nutrition information.

I hope the diet modifications help, Daisymay. Sounds like Jill is letting you know just what she thinks about all this!