Jet and Joan

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:48 am

... iceberg lettuces are selling for $14.00 each currently
That is outrageous! You want a high quality pellet with alfalfa/lucerne for the extra calcium and protein.

https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:11 am

You want a high quality pellet with alfalfa/lucerne for the extra calcium and protein.

Is this for mum or bubs or both?
iceberg lettuces are selling for $14.00 each currently
Everything has gone up here. Most time when go to shops shelves are empty and NOT due to panic buying just that due to flood things are hard to come by. I will ask vet Friday to get baby piggies pellets Oxbow in. Last time took ages. When one goes shopping never know what has gone up.

Thanks Lynx and will keep everyone posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:41 am

Both for mother and pups. She is recovering from a pregnancy and is so young.

You can find lucerne hay in Australia, I believe. This will help too. And/or clover.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:54 pm

I've never heard of iceberg lettuce causing upset stomach or the runs in guinea pigs, but I'll admit that my experience with it is limited. As I understand it, the trouble with iceberg lettuce is the lack of nutrients. It fills their stomach with basically nothing. Getting a belly full of lettuce with zero nutrients is no better than giving them no greens at all. There are plenty of nutritious greens which guinea pigs can get. I believe that nutrition page on this site is a very good list of choices. If you have grass growing where you can pick it, you could always give them that. They'll love it. I will caution you to make sure animals aren't doing their business where you get it from and that it's far enough away from roads and sidewalks where people contaminants get in it. As with anything you give your pigs, rinse it thoroughly.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:52 pm

Most guinea pig sites (including this one) will say that iceberg lettuce is not a good choice for guinea pigs, as it *can* cause loose stools if over-fed. I have used it for pigs that were dealing with kidney failure and needed the extra hydration, and it didn't cause diarrhea but I don't think I'd want to feed it under normal circumstances. It is comprised of something like 96% water (as much as a cucumber) and, as Renonvsparky said, is pretty much worthless nutritionally.

More helpful information here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction_faq.html

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:29 pm

Decades ago we had guinea pigs (like 40 years ago) and I fed iceberg because that was the only lettuce there was. I used to sprout alfalfa seeds in a sunny window and feed them sprouts because lettuce was expensive and I knew they needed vitamin C.

We did a lot of things wrong because no one really knew anything about care. I had a book about care and feeding that recommended hard dog biscuits to keep their teeth trimmed.

I would try finding grass or clover, or growing some grass in a tray in the house. It grows fast and seed is inexpensive. Also, if there is anyone selling sweet corn at farmers markets, maybe husks would be available. This has to be so frustrating trying to care for pets when prices soar and supply is low.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:38 am

Thanks you Lynx, Renonvsparky, Sef and ItsaZoo. I fed ALL pigs Iceberg lettuces for 2 feeds, went shopping today and got Oak lettuce and silverbeet, and baby spinach leaves. Heard spinach is high in calcium.

Also got the Oxbow pellets for young piggies also high in calcium. As to lucerne still looking for cheap price! Just got back from vet-Joan a girl and of course so is Jet. BUT sadly the 3 pups at this stage look like all boys. I thought 1 boy 2 girls but looks like I was wrong.

Now how big a cage needed for 3 boys? People say on here boys fight but that I ignore as I have found so do girls! Now Jaffa, Jill, Jupiter were sisters(God rest their souls) They were in a cage 9ft X 2ft and yet either Jill or Jupiter or both attacked Jaffa till skin and blood exposed.

Now I have bought a foldable dog crate which is 76cms X 106cms which is not 2ft X not 3.6ft I bought this when I thought there was only 1 boy. Would 2 of these joined together or perhaps 3 joined together be big enough?

The vet said all 3 pups looked healthy but then they are not a week old till tomorrow. Take Jessie she was healthy for 3 years then had major health issues(dental). He loved the 2 ginger ones, me I love the white one, heck I have fallen in love with all 3.

There is another alternative, I could buy another dog crate and put Justice in it and let the boys have the 9ft X 2ft cage. Is this large enough? I have NOT have boys since 1999 so a little out of practice. Please be patient with me.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:55 am

I bought this one https://www.google.com/search?q=lucerne ... 3570559034 I can also give some to Joan who is only 8 weeks old.

Australian post is jolly slow so won't hold my breath for it to come for another 2-4 weeks. Thanks guys!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 am

I am guessing it will depend on their personalities how well three boys would get along together. Would definitely go for the bigger cage.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:01 am

Can you post a photo of the family, please:)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:07 am

Can you post a photo of the family, please

I live alone and they are very skittish but I will try.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:17 pm

If you can get 3 boars to get along, I applaud you. I'm sure it's not impossible or unprecedented. It's just not very common and most of us wouldn't recommend it unless they've been together since birth. Knowing my boars, I would suggest plenty of everything to go around; space, food, hiding places, etc. Keep them clear of the girls too.