Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:50 pm

they gave me something called Buprenorphine since tramadol is from a tablet. i took it incase of emergency. you can give both that and metacam but i have no clue what effects is has on a pig. dont plan to use it. plan to just give metacam and hold of on the antibiotics.

she is definitely in more pain and probably the reason for her not coming out on her own overnight. probably have to plan to give the last syringe of critical care right before i go to sleep.

also she can pee still but pooping comes out not as fast. it does but not the poop factory we know pigs to be and probably the reason for a bit of a distended belly,

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:05 pm

Buprenorphine is a HEAVY narcotic, and will zonk a pig out for hours.

Metacam is not truly a pain med, it's an anti-inflammatory. It does relieve some pain, but isn't really designed for that.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:33 pm

Mmm then I won't use it. That will just make the current situation worse. Atleast with metacam, all I need to do is remove her pig hut for her to stretch out and maybe take a sip of water and maaaayybbbee a bit of hay. That's what I just did and surprisingly she is still eating some hay

Also believe cause of the anti-inflammatory properties, it is best cause last thing you want is for the bladder to get inflamed stopping pee and poop from coming out. just hope the painkillers it has is enough to take out a good chunk of the pain.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:01 pm

I should have stated that Tramadol has to be compounded from tablet. I've not found it to be particularly sedating with our guys, but I have always used the lowest possible effective dose and sparingly. Ditto on Buprenorphine being pretty heavy duty, though.

You mentioned the last syringe of CC...how much are you feeding her daily? If she's not eating pellets and only eating a few veggie and small amount of hay, it's likely not going to be enough to keep her weight up. Are you weighing her? Sufficient food/fiber intake is also important in keeping her gut humming along.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:08 pm

i had asked a question earlier about how much syringe feedings of critical care should i give her in a day if she eats all her veggies everyday. since the recommended is max of 6 or more, my plan is to give her 3. one in the morning, second around 4-5pm and the last when i am going to bed.

her weight on january 19 = 805 grams and in january 20 = 815 grams. she used to be 795 gram in january 16 which was 1 day after stone confirmation.

she eats allot of veggies actually. i give 4 water syringes (4ml of water), she eats about 2.5-3 lettuce and a bit over a handful of bell peppers everyday. veggies soaked in water of course and have her chase after them for some exercise (2 times a day)

i gave her pellets on january 18 since she was asking for some but on the 19th was when i noticed hay behavior changes and gave her the first critical care syringe at night which she behaved very well. she loved it. since i was gonna start critical care from then on, i decided not to give pellets since i felt was not necessary.

just now was not so simple as she was going to war and did not want to eat the critical care. was very messy but allot of the critical care she ate unwillingly lmao. she likes to move sideways while tucking her head down covering her mouth which is pretty annoying to deal with. for a pig with a stone, she does have allot of energy to dodge syringes

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:27 pm

let me know your opinions of the above. would be appreciated

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:12 pm

Just a note here for other readers, hay is the BEST method of ensuring your guinea pig's teeth are properly worn. I have never recommend chew sticks (I think they are a gimmick and not necessary at all).
I mean to clarify what I said about chew sticks. I don't use them as a replacement for proper teeth wear from eating hay. My guinea pigs chew everything and without something for them to chew on, they'll chew the plastic on their cages, huts and tunnels. If you have a pig who isn't eating enough hay to keep their teeth properly worn down, you could offer chew sticks if they'll even chew them on a temporary basis until you get them back to eating like they should. It doesn't do as much for their molars as it does for their incisors. I don't give them just any old wood to chew on either since treated wood isn't good for them. The kind I get is dense and designed for minimal splintering.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:08 pm

The antibiotic is probably effecting her appetite, that’s pretty common and very frustrating. Critical Care will help if you can feed enough. Sometimes it helps to add some shredded carrot or other veggie that she likes, and maybe she will eat the Critical Care on her own instead of you having to syringe feed so much.

I had some success with making kind of a cole slaw or smoothie with hay, Critical Care and carrot in a Ninja smoothie blender. The downside is you have to make about 2 cups so the blender works right. I ended up freezing dollops of it and feeding a dollop a few time per day.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:49 pm

so you blended critical care with hay and carrots?

she has always been mad for carrots so i believe it can work. just so happen to have a ninja blender myself but it is the big one. does that matter?

also when you froze them, did you just give them as is or did you wait till they got back to room temperature?

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:56 pm

so i did blend CC with carrots, some green bell peppers, and hay. she ate most of it on her own but my worry is that probably later she wont eat it on her own. last night before bed i was gonna syringe feed normal CC but she was even worse than the previous time.

she would even go as far as pushing the CC with her tounge out of her mouth even if it was placed down in the middle of her mouth. the syringe is kind of long and probably can make it to her throat but when you even get the syringe in her mouth she just ducks and weaves no matter what type of grip i have. she was even tired and still had the strength to keep going. i ended up giving up cause she was probably super stressed. i did get her to eat some but not as much as you would want.

if she don't eat the blended CC later, then i may end up dipping her veggies into it cause feeding water by syringe is much easier. i usually soak veggies in water.

i mostly use my pointer and thumb to hold her cheeks so she wont turn but she always ducks and my grip gets loose and then turns sideways and have to re-adjust.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:07 pm

How full is the syringe each time you feed her? How often do you feed her? With a couple of mine, I had to do half syringes and smaller portions fed more often. In other words, spread it out to give her time to settle down. I do warn you that doing it that way can weigh very heavily on you. I didn't get more than a cat nap here and there when I had to feed mine that way. Have you tried wrapping her in a towel or blanket? That can help stabilize your grip so you don't have to hold her so tightly and it helps keep her from struggling so much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 pm

Have you read this? Maybe it would help. Pinta talks about a vice-like grip:
https://www.guinealynx.info/tips.html

There is also a more relaxed way having the guinea pig in the crook of your arm on a counter.