Eye ulcer snd vet visit

Post Reply
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 pm

IMO, no, it won't pass. It's not impossible, if the vet could manipulate it down to the entrance to the urethra and retrieve it with forceps, but it's not likely to pass on it's own. And not all vets are competent at trying that method of extraction.

User avatar

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:30 pm

Ditto bpatters. That is, assuming that what we are all looking at is a stone. It doesn't look small enough to pass.

I understand how painful it was for you to lose your other guinea pig. Every surgery does carry risks. One wants the best surgeon they can find along with an otherwise fairly healthy guinea pig to increase the odds of a successful surgery.


Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:36 pm

right now my guinea eats, drinks and is willing to walk around and also chase food. its hard not to do everything i can when even her mate did the same.

ill contact the surgeon tomorrow and get things prepped.

User avatar

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:44 am

Don't wait any longer than is necessary if you decide to go ahead with the surgery. Her health will deteriorate rapidly once she stops eating, drinking and moving around. The stronger she is, the better she will get through the surgery and make her recovery.


Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:32 am

just got off the phone with the surgeon's secretary (not the vet that has yet to call me back) and they said they are booked currently but will leave a message with the doctor to see if they are able to squeeze her in. no appointments were made until they are able to do so.

this is the only good location i know of around my area. The other places are emergency locations with bad reputations.

the hospital connected to the adoption center i adopted both my male and female guinea will probably not do anything. what they said when i brought my male pig when he had his stone was that it is too risky and to let him pass the stone. in the parking lot as frustrated as i could be found the location i just called and made an appointment that same day. The next day my male pig started to slowly deteriorate so if i had listened to the adoption place, he would of had a horrible time.

This really sucks but i have no choice but to wait I'm afraid.


Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:06 am

apparently the vet that has yet to call me back can perform the bladder stone surgery (a day is unknown). they usually perform stone removals on cats and dogs but the assistant said it is basically the same procedure. i have no clue if i should trust what he said. they get guinea pigs but i have no clue if they have performed surgeries on guineas. i really wonder why they never mentioned this when my male guinea had his stone as well.

Any insight?

User avatar

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:14 pm

It's very frustrating that these vet clinics don't call you back in a timely manner. I usually bug them every hour until I get results. I would be careful letting surgeons who are inexperienced with cavy surgery operate on my pigs. A botched surgery by an incompetent surgeon is no better than doing nothing for her. My only suggestion is to find out as much as you can about the doctors at that clinic. They will have a bio for each one available on their website or on flyers in their clinic if they're reputable.


Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:45 pm

gotcha. i found another location but the next available appointment to evaluate her and make sure she is strong enough for surgery (which she is pretty strong right now and i have let them know about it) is February 4th. the vet who has still not called me back has an available day in early march (i will look into her if there is any info on her.)

the place that did my male guinea's stone surgery i called back and they said they needed to get the x ray scans so the doctor can see and i just so happened to have them so i sped up that process. gonna bug them again in a few since the doctor was in surgery to see if she saw the scans yet. they are booked also so it is more of a call to find out if she can squeeze my female pig in so i have no approximate date for them to evaluate her.

i am running out of places. these are the ones that are pretty good.


Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:07 pm

serious questions here.

when do i consider letting her sleep? she still eats, drinks (sometimes a few bites at the water bottle, sometimes a bunch), eats hay but the only time she would do so (i have seen the water bottle go down in quantity overnight so i know she may come out of her hut and water bottle does not leak) is if i remove her pig hut. the food obviously would chase herself.

today she tends to be tired and i see her slowly closing her eyes as if she is getting exhausted (once i remove her pig hut, she takes a bit like in a daze and then goes off). usually around afternoon- nighttime she may come out on her own. today is her 4th day on antibiotics but still i spot blood in her urine. kind of hard to tell if it is less or if she slowly cant pee as much as before. still vocalizes even with metacam recently given.

what i have been doing is removing her hut a good amount of times and she goes off to the hay box and eats some hay and take a drink once or twice to go back to eat some hay and then lay down. then place her hut next to her to show her i am placing the hut back. rinse and repeat a little bit later.

there is only 1 location that i am waiting for but the other 2 is in February or march respectively. very far dates and i can tell you, i don't believe she can make it and if she does, probably not in good shape. unless the stone shrinks and/or brakes apart somehow.

this is not easy to write

Edit: as i sent this message, she just walked straight to the water bottle and is drinking a bunch. it is the afternoon here. this is the first time she has come out on her own aside from this morning but it is cause she knows it is lettuce time.


Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:36 pm

Oh thank god. My male guinea's surgeon called just now and wanted to see her tomorrow. It don't mean surgery but it is allot closer than the other 2.

Can anyone with experience with a pig who had finished their stone surgery described how your pig was when he woke up right after surgery? When you took them home? What did you do?

Also, did the surgeon give them an injectible painkiller? I remember my male guinea woke up from surgery and he was eating everything but after an hour he declined. I always tought maybe the anesthesia's pain relief wore off and it hit him to the point he didn't want too move.

I took him home and he did not move, accept syringe medicine or painkillers. Around his last 9 to 10 minutes he just jolted so fast that it sounds like someone ran into a wooden wall and scared my female pig. Both were inside their cage together. He never moved the whole day. He laid were he had sprinted towards and I placed him on my lap. He looked like he was In pain during that. Could be some other complication but that is what my gut feeling was. This was like at 12am and i was considering an ER to get him some pain relief but he passed away before I got up to get dressed.

User avatar

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:50 pm

I've always used pain in the guinea pig as the basic measuring stick to determine when the time was right to end their suffering. That doesn't mean I put them down just because they're hurting. I do my very best to factor in how much pain, how long term is it going to go on? Can it be controlled? Is the cause of the pain something that can be rectified? There are several factors that you have to consider and your vet should be able to help you make the best decision for your guinea pig.

I'm sending you all of my thoughts and best wishes as you navigate through this. I know you will do your best to make the best decision you can.

User avatar
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:59 pm

There is some very good post-op information here:

I have found it helpful to keep the recuperating pig in a small 'hospital' cage that can be kept warm. Coming out of anesthesia, sometimes their body temp can drop. Monitor for pooping and peeing. Metacam or Tramadol can be used for pain, and as the advice on that page suggests, it can be a good idea to have Metoclopramide on-hand just in case the gut slows down. Be ready to handfeed with Critical Care.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you both. :)


Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:08 pm

how do i know if the gut slows down? less eating?

my issue is, what if my pig refuses metacam for pain from a syringe for example? as in not chewing so it means she could choke if i decide to administer the medicine in her mouth.

were can i buy metoclopramide? is that administered from a syringe as well?


Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:25 pm

for critical care, i remember i messed around with it trying to get the right amount of ratio between critical care and water but i was never able to (either came out too watery or too tick). i never got to use it since my male pig refused anything (no chewing when inserting a syringe or movement). was never thought by anyone either.

any help or advise appreciated (i read the postop link allot back then and reviewed it again just now as well).


Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:59 pm

found a video for critical care. never mind that part


Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:26 am

I have 2 critical care that have a best used by date on March and June 2021. Is this still usable or should I get new ones?

User avatar
Supporter in 2022

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:29 am

When my guinea pig wasn’t eating, I found an extra fine Critical Care in papaya flavor that she liked. It was a lot smoother to mix and seemed to have a better flavor than the original or the apple banana.


Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:05 am

My pig loves banana. Think apple banana is the one I have that are past date.

One thing I noticed today is she hasn't eaten much hay today. She has eaten everything else but that. That is why I was considering feeding a bit of those expired critical care if it is alright to give those expired ones.


Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:27 pm

surgery is scheduled for the 25th. some questions:

my pig has slowly been ignoring her hay except hard pieces and the fuzzy flowers. i mostly got leafy kind of hay. i did obtain Metoclopramide and a new bag of critical care. should i use any of those 2 over the other to maybe entice her to eat more hay? remember she is on the antibiotic enrofloxacin

what if my pig refuses Metacam for pain from a syringe for example? as in not chewing so it means she could choke if i decide to administer the medicine in her mouth. is there anything i can do?

User avatar

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:44 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as her mouth and throat are clear, she won't choke. You just need to make sure the syringe you're using is in her mouth far enough. 6 days is a long way out in terms of keeping her weight up. You can do it! She's helping you out by continuing to eat some on her own. Keep very close tabs on her weight. You also have to keep in mind that reduced chewing and eating on her own can allow her teeth to overgrow. If you can find a toy or something you can get her to chew on, that will help prevent that from happening. Good luck and our thoughts are with you.

Post Reply
335 posts