Sam and Dean

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:27 pm

Sammy and Dean got some time out in the Missouri grass. Right about the time the sun goes behind the trees and while it is still plenty light outside, it cools off nicely and the humidity drops enough to make it perfect for them. They took full advantage and ate their fill.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Look at all that lovely grass! I checked out all your grass eating guinea pigs in the other topics too!

I imagine you spent the time outside with them. And I can bet they will have many more opportunities for grass eating!! What lucky guinea pigs!!
[For other readers, we always advise also having water and a shaded area available, even on lovely days - and if you're with them, you will know if there are any problems.]

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:18 pm

What a lovely patch of grass! Enjoy, little pigs!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:10 pm

I never leave them. Not even for a second. There are sneaky predators here that aren't in Nevada. They're always in the shade and never outside alone. They also aren't out for much longer than 20 minutes because they usually eat their fill and are ready to go back inside within that time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:18 pm

I forgot about predators. Having chickens, hawks and so many other animals are predators. My garden is fenced and dense and I think when it is leafed out it feels safe. In the winter I see them running from one covered area to another and doing their foraging for bugs on overcast days or at dusk. We even have bear! (though I don't think chickens are high on their list)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:48 pm

It would be a big mistake for any predators to come after my guinea pigs when they are outside. I'm fully prepared to fend them off.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:25 pm

My poor little Dean. He and Sammy went for nail trims and he had a hang nail on his front right paw. I feel so bad for him. I had no idea that was going on. He gave no indication that his foot was bothering him. It was just the one claw on that one foot. It was a bit longer than the rest of his nails for some reason. None of his other nails were long enough to hang up like that. Maybe they missed that nail at his last nail trim.

Anyway it bled when they removed it. I'm keeping my eye on it for infection, but it's scabbed over and barely visible after 7 hours. He still isn't having any trouble getting around and doesn't appear to have any pain or discomfort with it so I'm sure it'll be ok. Sammy's nail trim was quick and easy as usual. He always has been a low maintenance piggie. Gilligan and Skipper are going for their trim on Friday and then they will all be caught up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:04 am

Regular nail trims sure to help! It is tough when you adopt a guinea pig and have to slowly cut the nails and hope the quick recedes. This picture (in the guide) always gets me!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:50 pm

That is creepy. I keep all of my guinea pig's nails trimmed regularly. Dean's nails are healthy. Just the one was a hang nail. It could have been one that grew much faster than the others or one the vet in Reno missed when they did his last trim. I usually watch closely when they are working on my guinea pigs, but because of covid I wasn't allowed to go into the exam room with him the last 2 times. This vet allows the owner to go back with their pets because Missouri; at least the rural area I live in, doesn't have restrictions.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:06 am

The hang nails are easy to miss. They usually lay flat against the side of the foot and it’s hard to see them. They remind me of a little fish scale.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:59 am

It's near the end of October. The temperature is still kinda warm with little humidity and there is still plenty of beautiful green grass. The grass in the pasture is especially big bladed. It comes out almost a foot long when I pick it and these boys really love it. With the change in seasons, it's become too risky to have them outside right now because of the massive number of raptor type birds circling over the area. I don't know exactly what kind they are. I'm thinking falcons, but they could be hawks or vultures too. They're black with white edges on the underside of their wings. Either way, my guinea pigs will not become their prey.

That means going out into the pasture to pick a hand full of that beautiful grass for all 12 guinea pigs. There are ticks and chiggers out there so I have to be careful not to pick up any of them and I wash the grass very thoroughly after I pick it. The guinea pigs get the added benefit of extra water. The water here is very good. Well water is so much better than city water (cheaper too). It has good minerals and a lot lower alkaline level than the water in Nevada. It's much better for the piggies, especially Dean. Although he's never had stones, his urine has a tendency to get chalky. It has cleared up considerably since we moved here.

Sammy and Dean have settled into the new environment seamlessly. Although they have the same cage they had in Reno, their surroundings are different and so is the climate. I know some guinea pigs have more trouble adapting to such a drastic change, but these boys are right at home and happy here. At over 3 years of age, they're still very healthy and they've matured into a very nice pair.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:48 am

That's interesting about Dean's urine & the well water.