Buttercup

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:27 pm

Here they are having their veggies. The little girl in the tunnel is the runt. Her name is Muffin. She is still smaller than her brothers and sister but she's healthy and eats well. She doesn't let anyone bully her from getting her share of the food either. The little Abby is Ruffles. As you can see, Buttercup gets her space when she wants it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks for posting about them. I'm amazed they're 3 mos. Still cute as buttons. I went back and read your thread about them for info and i was wondering how they're doing. I can see Muffin is small. I don't think "Timid" will catch up with the others, but as you said, so long as the pig is healthy, that's all that matters. I've been told "Timid" is no longer timid.

We're calling them all "she" right now - wishful thinking because we hate to separate them. But if we have males, I hope there are 2 so they can live together. The plan is to adopt some of them out, but that's going to be very hard. I don't think we have room for a permanent third cage and this is an all-female setup.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:10 pm

I got very lucky getting two of each. The boys are Kahlua and Jack. They are getting along famously together. They squeak very loudly at the slightest noise and it echoes through the whole house. Their hearing is very acute because they react to the sound of rattling plastic taking place in the kitchen. They are just now getting to where they'll take food from my hand. It's taking time to earn their trust, but we're getting there.

Picking them up is a different story. I hate having to chase them to pick them up but that too will resolve when they learn to trust me. They'll let me approach them without running and hiding as long as I don't open the cage door.

Kahlua is on top of the house. He has claimed that as his spot. Jack likes to get up there too and they do argue about it, but it's never been serious as of yet. Jack always yields the spot.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:48 am

The boys are just too cute. From this angle their coloring looks the same. There's something about gp's getting on top of a house that just makes me laugh.They're either king of the mountain or a scout, but really I think they just think it's fun.

The sound of rattling plastic - oh boy. My childhood pig could hear my mom open the refrigerator door from his cage in the basement and it set off loud wheeks.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:57 pm

Their coloring is almost exactly the same. Kahlua has a little more white fur on his neck.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:48 am

I've now earned enough trust from Buttercup and all 4 of the babies for them to take food from my hand. Muffin is so skiddish that I thought I'd never get her to trust me, but she does. She's still very skiddish but getting better. The slightest noise and she runs for the shelter of the tunnel. Only difference is now she comes right back out, whereas before it took several minutes for her to get up the courage.

Ruffles has always been a real outgoing pig. She's apprehensive about being picked up, not much else. She and Muffin both like to sit on top of the pipe, but Ruffles usually wins that argument. She an Abby for sure. She's got the Abby character and personality. The other 3 little ones are content to sit when I hold them, but she likes to climb around on me and explore.

The boys, Kahlua and Jack are also doing well. They wheek louder than any guinea pig I've ever had. They too like the top of their house. Unlike the baby girls, they are content to take turns or share it. Kahlua is particularly crafty when it comes to veggies. I always give them a piece of lettuce by hand before I dump the bowl in the cage, so he gets extra pieces by taking the one I give him and putting it under the hut. Then he comes back for another. Nobody can convince me that guinea pigs aren't smart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:54 am

It's nice to hear how they are doing! I do have to say, I always valued trust highly. For some little animals it is such a gift and is the thing I remember the most.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:36 pm

Because of you and this forum, I've learned to value the trust of all my pets. I always strive to earn it, even before joining here because nothing makes me feel bad as much as having them afraid of me. I just didn't appreciate it the way I do now, so thank you for that.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:27 am

I will be posting about Muffin and Ruffles along with Buttercup on this thread rather than making a new one for the baby girls. What a trio they are. I don't think Buttercup was much older than a year when I got her. I'm only guessing based in her size and her activities. Having two little ones in with her seems to be working out. They run around together, which is something that the older guinea pigs don't do nearly as much as Buttercup and her 5 month old companions. Being their mother has made her the matriarch of the cage. She plays with them a lot, but she keeps them in line too.

Muffin is still the smallest, but don't let her small size fool you. She holds her own when it comes to the food, water and the coveted spot on top of the tunnel. Shes a fast little thing too. Its hard to hold her because she runs without any warning. She'll run right up my chest and over the back of the chair before I can catch her, so I make sure she has a blanket to get under and that keeps her from doing that so far. She's skiddish as can be, but she comes up to the front of the cage to take food from me. She runs to the tunnel after she takes it, if I put a finger through the cage for her to sniff or if I open the door. I know from experience that she and the other girls will get over that eventually.

Ruffles is the bravest of the 3. She hangs out in the open and doesn't run unless I open the cage door. She sits still when I hold her and is the easiest one to pick up. She's the only one of the 4 babies who purrs when I pet her. Quite the little Abby character, that one. She is also the only one of the three who doesn't run to the tunnel to eat the food or treats she takes from my hand. She gobbles it down and begs for more. She would probably be ok without a place to hide, although I don't deprive any of my guinea pigs of that. Maybe some of her bravery will rub off on her mom and sister.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:44 am

I've had to reread the whole thread & compare notes with our babies. Our runt is still the smallest but the most assertive.

Buttercup & babies sound like they're doing great!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:47 pm

The mama piggie and the 4 babies haven't tried tomatoes before, so I let them each have one of the grape tomatoes i got from Town and Country Market's scrap produce. Buttercup and Muffin wanted nothing to do with them. Ruffles ate about half of one and the two boys, Kahlua and Jack like the them and ate theirs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:47 am

Do you cut them in half?

I often give my chickens grapes as a treat (not recommended to give guinea pigs grapes) and cut them in quarters or half depending on the size so I don't have to worry about eating round things. I imagine the grape tomatoes are larger and this might not be a problem. Easier to eat if they are easier to grab though!