Dr. Betsy Clarkson
    510 W. North Avenue
    Elmwood Park, IL 60707

Phone: (708) 453-8181
    Fax: (708) 453-8194
    Emergency: (708) 453-4755

Very experienced with guinea pigs.
    Contributed by: mooser - 7/17/2004, 3:44 pm

All of the vets here are very competent and used to seeing pigs on a regular basis. They have done a toe amputation, mass removal, many xrays and blood tests, and euthanasia for me. They also carry Oxbow products incl. Critical care. They also now have emergency services available, and when I leave pigs there overnight I can have these emergency vets check on my pigs often, and call for updates at any time during the night if I want. It's more expensive, though.
    Contributed by: mooser - 7/28/2006, 10:06 pm

At this point I would NOT recommend Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital. The original owners (including Dr. Nye who I initially saw there) have sold the practice, and the remaining doctors seem more focused on avian and herp patients. They tend to take the "we are the experts, don't ask questions" approach to animal care. For example, they continue to do skin scrapings and injections for mites and deny that baytril could cause serious GI problems for some guinea pigs. They have sonogram equipment, but no one who was considered well enough versed in the technology to administer and read the tests, necessitating a three-hour trip to the UW vet school when I needed those services. Their overnight "special watch" hospital was a nightmare for one of my pigs.
    Contributed by: EllieMom - 5/9/2008, 10:06 pm
    Dr. Nye seems to be working at Ness Exotic Wellness Center now - 3/5/2016

All 16 of my guinea pigs have been seen and treated at this exotic hospital. We've been going there for about 2 years, and they have done a great job treating my babies! Recently, Mizuki had surgery to have 20+ non-cancerous fatty tumors removed from her abdomen. She's also being treated for arthritis in her knee. The surgery went great, no problems. Zuki has recovered and is doing very well! My babies have also had the following ailments resolved here - eye infections, URI's, lice and mites (always isolate a new gp!), pneumonia, bladder stones, spinal injury (accident). In addition, they've done castrations & spay for us. The doctors and staff are very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. They are experts in exotics. They see exotics during normal office hours, and exotics & other pets after hours in their emergency hospital. I'm very satisfied with their work. I highly recommend them!
    Contributed by: GuineaPigsR4Me - 03/05/2010 11:05 AM

Website verified: March 6, 2016
Geneva
  • Millbrook Veterinary Hospital
    David J. Bongiorno DVM
    1749 S. Randall Rd. Unit C
    Geneva, IL 60134

Phone: (630)208-7027

"Dr. Dave" is a skilled and caring vet. While this is a general clinic, he is quite experienced with exotics and has successfully performed a complicated spay and tumor removal on one of my guinea pigs and liver lobectomy on another. His staff is knowledgeable and, above all, kind and caring. I cannot recommend this practice strongly enough. In fact, I travel 90 minutes each way to go to them rather than one of the hundreds of vets who are closer to my home.
    Contributed by:EllieMom - 9/1/2010, 8:41am
    Website not verified. All searches point to Animal Care Clinic of Geneva. Dr. Bongiorno is not listed as Staff on the website. March 6, 2016
Kankakee
  • VCS County West Animal Hospital
    www.vcahospitals.com/county-west
    Dr. Marcia Gortowski
    1709 W. Merchant St
    Kankakee, IL 60901

Phone: (815) 614-3902
    Fax: (815) 614-3905

She can handle guinea pig basics, can look at molars with an otoscope, but that's the scope of her tooth knowledge with these little guys. Successfully repaired an inguinal hernia on my little guy.
    Contributed by: melcvt00 - 6/23/2003, 9:10 am
    Website verified and address updated: March 6, 2016. VCA Aroma Park Animal Hospital has been closed, and Dr. Gortowski is at this location now.
Mundelein
  • Vernon Hills Animal Hospital
    www.vhah.com
    Dr. Stephen Barten
    Dr. Eve Cheung
    Dr. Susan Sneed

1260 S. Butterfield Rd.
    Mundlein, IL 60060

Phone: (847) 367-4070
    Contributor unknown
    Website verified: March 6, 2016
Skokie
  • Specialty & Emergency Skokie Animal Hospital
    BluePearl

http://bluepearlvet.com/locations/illin ... als/skokie
    Formerly Animal 911 Emergency Clinic
    3735 W. Dempster St.
    Skokie, IL 60076

Phone: (847) 673-9110

I brought a pig in once, one of the vets gave subcues, AB's, Critical Care. This is also a normal exotics vet by day, but I haven't been during the day, only during emergency hours.
    Contributed by: mooser - 7/29/2006, 4:00 pm

My pigs never get sick during working hours, and it's hard to find one that has experience with guinea pigs. I took Oreo in because she was bloated terribly an din pain. They looked over the "records" I keep in my Care Guide and actually paid attention to it and used information about Oreo from that source (e.g., bad reaction to Baytril). The intake vet was careful with her and, based on previous bouts with this condition, started on the right course of care immediately. Oreo stayed over night and I called several times to check on her. MY questions were answered by either a vet or vet tech, all of whom were caring and showed knowledge of guinea pigs. The fact that they are an offshoot of Chicago Exotics Animal Hospital also provided some credibility. I love my current vet, but I wouldn't hesitate a moment to go back to Animal911 if I had an emergency.
    Contributed by:EllieMom - 6/10/2008, 1:06 pm

Website verified and information updated: March 6, 2016
Wheaton
  • Danada Veterinary Hospital
    https://danadavet.com
    10 W. Loop Road
    Wheaton IL 60189

(630) 665-6161

Dr. Wallach, Dr. Gunderson + 3 other vets handle guinea pigs
    I've used them for over 8 years. The availability of more than one vet who can handle guinea pigs is a plus. Good care at a very reasonable price.
    Contributed by email: Pigwig3 - 3/4/2020
    Website verified: March 4, 2020

Post Reply 1 post • Page 1 of 1