Far too often guinea pigs purchased at pet stores are ill, missexed, and/or pregnant. They may have life threatening respiratory diseases or parasitic infestations. The majority of guinea pigs found in pet stores are purchased from pet mills. When there are already thousands of homeless guinea pigs, choose to adopt instead!
Female pigs can be pregnant:
- This purchased pig gives birth to a lethal.
- This purchased female gives birth to one stillborn pup, and two pups with deformities.
- This purchased pig has lice and illness.
Junior, a young male, slowly recovers after weeks of handfeeding, vet visits, and patience. His owner successfully won her case against the pet store, and received reimbursement for Junior's numerous medical expenses.
- This purchased female has a contagious illness and maggots.
A pair of young females arrive in their new home with an illness that is highly contagious to other guinea pigs (Cervical Lymphadenitis). One has maggots feeding on the ruptured cyst on her neck.
- Major Pet Store Supplier Raided
An estimated 25,000 - 30,000 animals were removed from U.S. Global Exotics, in Texas, during a raid. Hundreds were already dead.
- Pet stores improving?
- Is there such a thing as a "good" pet store?
- Where are the small animals in Petsmart?
- Petsmart supplier under investigation
- I'm so angry and sad right now!
- PetCo Event Thread and related thread PetCo and the Hamster Ball derby.
- Why do I feel so bad?
- Pet Store Problem - Need Advice
What is Rescuing and Adopting? from www.GuineaPigHome.com
Excellent explanation of what "rescuing" and "adopting" really mean.
Cavy Spirit's Pet Store page from www.CavySpirit.com
Informative definition of the "pet store cycle", and what you are truly supporting when you buy anything from a pet store that sells animals.
The Hollister Guinea Pig Rescue Story and The Hollister Photo Album from www.CavySpirit.com
The heartbreaking story of 187 guinea pigs seized by Animal Control. Warning - graphic photos.