Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 21, 2006 1:29 pm

Thanks, Josephine! I added them in. It's not something you can do because they have to be uploaded to this server and the thread edited. But it means if yahoo goes down, they're still here (also quicker to load as we only have the photos, not all the extra stuff).

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 24, 2006 5:47 pm

I moved this thread to the Med Forum since I'm too lazy to start another Reference Thread on Rhett right now.

Unfortunately, Monday night (only a few days after finishing a 2-week course of TMS), the hematuria started again. Fortunately, it stops within 12 hours of initiating another course of TMS, but I think given all of his tests in the last couple of weeks, this might make him a candidate for Interstitial Cystitis. I'll have to see if we can get a culture post finishing this round of TMS.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:29 am

Here we go again. This morning he's hunched up and passing frank blood and blood clots from his penis. Poor guy. Couldn't have been better timing, though. With my new job, he'll just go to work with me and I can get him worked in and try (again) for a cysto and recheck rads.

Geez. I'm sure glad we didn't place this one in a new home. He's becoming more high maintenance. I feel a hard circular mass in his abdomen. He was clear of sludge or stones in May, but I guess it could be a bladder. If it is, it looks like trouble. It also could be cecum, I guess. That would be a better alternative.

rachelm

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:33 am

Oh no, not again. The poor guy. I'm so pleased he's with you Josephine, the best of hands, I'm sure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:48 pm

Poor guy. I'm still so happy he's in your capable hands.

Piggster

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:08 pm

Sending positive vibes and good wishes for Rhett. I hope he feels better soon and it's nothing serious. Thanks so much for helping him Josephine!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:07 pm

It looks like he has a stone in his urethra. Very painful and irregular bladder today. We were able to express a small amount of urine, but not enough to do a urinalysis. It looks like his bladder is larger this afternoon than this morning. Rads show pretty much that story, but they are difficult to interpret. Don't see any obvious stones in the bladder, but there are some suspicious more dense spots (a few highs and lows) in the bladder area.

I gave him meloxicam this morning. Good thing. It looks like we're going to mask him down at closing tonight, try to catheterize and propulse the stone back into the bladder and do a cystotomy/biopsy. Poor Rhett.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:36 pm

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way! Poor baby!

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Goodness. I euthanized Arthur after struggling with the same problem for a while. His stone was in the bladder, however, and would work its way into settling into the bladder horn and preventing urination.

I could shift its position with massage, lots of fluids, and putting him on the washing machine in "spin" cycle in a container.

But after a while, it was obvious he was in terrible pain and I shouldn't keep up bugging him. We thought it was probably multiple stones, and my vet was really surprised upon necropsy to find only one:

luvmypigs2

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:00 pm

How's Rhett doing?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:51 pm

He's gone. I haven't been home long. We stayed several hours past closing to work on him. I never recovered him from the operating table.

We found a huge abdominal mass we originally thought was the bladder. It was connected to the mesentery, GIT, and possibly urinary tract.

We couldn't get the possible urinary stone out of the urethra. We tried passing multiple catheters from the bladder to the prepucial oriface and the other way around. His urethra was probably ruptured in the process.

The vet and I didn't see how he could possibly recover well and be able to urinate or urinate without the pain he'd been having at least all day. Anti-inflammatories can only do so much.

I sent the urinary tract (from the bladder to the penis) and the mass out for histo. There are so many unanswered questions.

I miss my Rhetty boy. He turned into a great snuggle pig. He had been through so much and turned into the most social, endearing little thing. Such a chow hound, too. He was always looking for more treats and loved getting in the carrier to travel since it meant more VEGGIES!

I'm exhausted both mentally and physically. He was such a special boy. Thank you Leah and Sharon for sending him to me. He had some good months after that foot healed up. He would have doubtless been euthanized in the shelter in January if you hadn't pulled him.

His cagemate Ciel is alone (YET AGAIN). He's a 6 1/2 year old INTACT boar. If he gets another cagemate I guess it has to be a neutered boy unless I neuter him and throw him in with some girls. We'll see. :(

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:55 pm

I just looked at his first pictures again. They're making me cry, but man did he come a long way. He looked so much better than that.