Cavy Pellet Analysis

piggielover

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:35 pm

Okay, since you are talking pellets here, I have a question.
I went to Walmart to buy pellets. I buy KayTee pellets. Well, they were out of KayTee pellets and I did not have time to drive all the way across town to K-mart to get them so I bought the Hartz brand. I know they are bad, but I was desperate. My youngest son is very sick and I can't get to the store now till tomorrow or Sunday and I bought the pellets on Thursday. Will they get sick if I wait till Sunday? I am scared. They all have been SO healthy on KayTee and I probably messed up now bigtime. I feel very bad. Please let me know if it will be okay. Thanks so much.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:01 pm

E, I thought the same thing, but I have just purchased some orchard grass pellets, and yes I called the manufacturer. They are merely orchard grass pellets. Nothing added. Nothing else. They grind them down in about the same way the alfalfa cubes are made, but into pellets.

My pigs love them, but I just give them as a treat.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:15 pm

Piggielover-
From what I remember, Hartz is loaded with animal by-products. That's cow and pork fat. They are ebetter off without pellets for a few days than with that crap. If they have lots of hay and veggies, they'll be ok. I'd dump it.

KM-
Ah, ok. I still don't see how it sticks together, though.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:47 pm

Me either! In fact, I called and talked to the person and kept asking her for the list of ingredients. She said "Ah, it's on the label". I said "well, the label just says Orchard grass pellets, nothing else". She said "right". Ok then.

It was a very humbling experience.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:20 pm

piggielover, the pellets will not kill your pigs. But when things taste different, sometimes pigs will go off their feed and not eat. This (not eating) would be the biggest problem in feeding something different on a temporary basis. E would throw them out. I'd give them some until I got another brand and watch their weight carefully if it is going to be a few days.

Megan

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:38 pm

I have gone without food already. I was waiting for my oxbow to get in, but it didn't come in on time. I ended up grabbing some L&M at the petstore, and feeding that to hold them off. I didn't have any problems with the quick switch over. I however did already just give them a lot more hay and veggies, and that held them off just as good.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:54 pm

I would have personally gone with no pellets for a few days, with lots of hay and veggies.

sylvieL

Post   » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:19 am

Hm, I haven't bought it but I can go to the store and write down the info that's on the bag to call them. I'll tell you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:20 pm

Okay, I'm going to move this to the reference forum. If anyone else has any pellet analyses to add, go right ahead. I also finally got Josephine's guidelines incorporated into the nutrition page. P.S. Let me know if you would prefer to be referred to by a name other than Josephine.

www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html#pellets

sylvieL

Post   » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:54 pm

Ok, I finally bought the alfafa pellets as the cavy ones I had ordered they couldn't get hold of - so, it says "100% pure alfafa - no additives" and it's labelled for rabbits, goats, ponies ... I asked the woman if she was sure there were no antibiotics in there and she said "yes I'm sure, the other rabbit food we sell has some but not this one". So I think it's OK ? And I don't know how they get the pellets to hold together ! BTW, I also bought a straw pellet bedding and it's pure straw with no additive, neither.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:05 pm

Well, I would be inclined to believe them if they say there are no additives. If they are only alfalfa pellets, be sure to provide hay all the time (a variety of hay is good if you can get it -- timothy, orchard grass etc.) and lots of different vegs.

Most pellets have vitamin and mineral supplements added. These pellets will have none. So you want to try to ensure your pigs get all the nutrients they need. See www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html for more information on needed minerals and vitamins (link to another site).

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:28 pm

Thanks, Lynx. I just saw the nutrition stuff. Cool pages.

I don't care I guess, about the name thing. Josephine is fine, I suppose. I could go either way. Maybe both?