Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

leebee

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:41 am

I just pulled a pig from the Silicon Valley shelter with the worst case of bumblefoot I've ever seen - even between Hollister and Nelson, I haven't seen anything like this. His foot is bigger than a quarter in diameter. He's also got a severe case of mites and is malnourished. I really think his foot is beyond repair and he will probably need an amputation.

I am so angry. He was a classroom pig. What kind of lesson is that?

Animal Control officers are being given documentation of his condition, and will hopefully be going to make a visit to the classroom. I'm going to press hard for this to happen, as this is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

I took pictures and I'll post them tomorrow. The shelter started him on baytril and I've already given him a foot soak. He's eating like a pig. I seem to be out of chewable vitamin C, I'll pick up more tomorrow and start supplementation.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:45 am

That's sad. Seen too many neglected classroom pets. You'd think teachers or parents would know better. What are they teaching the children?

LER

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:46 am

Poor pig. Thanks for helping him, and let us know if anything comes of animal control looking into his situation.

TuftyCollegeGirl

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:46 am

What kind of citation can the teacher or school be slapped with for neglecting an animal. you'd think this is just the thing to let the parents know about, considering that their kids were taught the worst way to care for an animal.

Tammy

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:48 am

When you think you're seen it all, something even worse comes along. I'm so sorry you have to deal with these sad cases of abused piggies Leah. At least he found you.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:02 am

My childs afterschool daycare asked me about the advisability of getting a guinea pig. After I explained the housing requirements they decided that they didn't have room.

Kellyjo

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:53 am

I also had a classroom rescue, who was then dumped, and I got her and she had nothing but large masses of skin for feet, the vet never offered amputation, but I wish I had the vet I have now. She had to have a pillow like bottom to her cage so she could walk. Shes gone now but her feet were horriable. Im glad your taking care of her Leebee.

pinta

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:58 am

Gentle pressure bandages can really help swollen paw pads. If the skin is open they would have to be changed at least daily.

Piggster

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:22 am

I hope that Animal Control can pursue this with a favorable outcome. Maybe if the school district gets slapped with a summons and negative publicity, this will further deter future idiot teachers from keeping classroom pets.

leebee thanks for helping this guy. I hope amputation isn't necessary.

How is Nelson. Has he had his surgery yet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:30 am

I hope they do something about it too. Make sure you have lots of pics.

leebee

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:26 am

AC is proceeding with a criminal case. I talked to special needs yesterday. They already took photos documenting his condition, and I'm going to send them mine as well.

Here's the sweet boy.

You can see in this picture that he has a sebaceous cyst.

His foot is so swollen that you can't see his toes anymore, just his toenails.

His poor naked, skinny belly.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:29 am

Oh leebee..It makes me so ill to see that and especially to think that that boy was in a classroom and somebody was trying to pass all that crap off as okay!