URGENT - 9 PIGS IN MARTINEZ CA, to be put down within 2 days

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:52 pm

amazing. Talked to Denise. Called Val who was on the freeway heading out of town. Val is TURNING AROUND to go get the pigs and she is on the phone with Denise.

Teresa, Denise says that the one sow is about to pop. So we're talking a 3-hour trip, then they will be with Caroline--who is very knowledgeable & experienced--and then transported down to me on Saturday evening. Please let me know if you think the sow can weather this or if it would be best to leave her with Denise.

I know that it's not imperative that they leave Denise's right now, but right now is when I have a transport. Also, I have a foster lined up for the sows.

critter crew

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:59 pm

I usually dont post here but I wanted to say how WONDERFUL all of you involved are. I take my hats of to those of you doing all this for the sweet piggies. I hope they all make it safe and sound into the loving people's home waiting for them.

GREAT JOB YOU GUYS

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:14 pm

Val gets a special place of honor at our next pig party. Don't know what else to offer.

I think taking the risk of a few hours window of delivering on the road and something going wrong is still worth taking in this situation.

So glad Val was willing to go the extra, extra, extra mile.

Good luck to all . . .

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:20 pm

Ok thanks. Val is picking them up right now.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:58 pm

The piggies are with Caroline now in Oakhurst. The very pregnant sow has not delivered yet. She is going to leave some of the pregnant females with Susan Madigan in Bakersfield, and then the rest are coming here on Sunday. *woo-hoo!*

Teresa

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:41 pm

Excellent. Thanks so much for offering to take these pigs and helping coordinate getting them out of the shelter.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:57 pm

No prob. We don't have a piggy population problem here in OC.

Denise told me that what she knows about guinea pigs "could fit in a thimble" so she was more than happy to give them up.

Apparently, there is a volunteer at the Martinez shelter who panics when animals are designated to be euthanized and will give them to just about anyone.

Caroline told me that she was going to pressure the shelter about not releasing guinea pigs to people who aren't 501(c)3 but I asked her not to do that since it would make it difficult for you to get pigs out of there.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:11 pm

The Martinez pigs are here! Susan in Bakersfield took the 4 pregnant females and the males are here:

http://nikspiggies.org/Boys.html

lynnie

Post   » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:50 am

You guys are so awesome. There should be more people like you out there. The piggies are beautiful.

peg

Post   » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:13 am

hey, i can take on a pregnant sow or two, to foster. i'm in san francisco and have a car -- someonce can send me email if you need another foster home for pregnant sows! or you can call -- teresa and bats should have my phone number.

peg
pbm@transbay.net

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:50 am

They look young. Are they very small? Very cute and way to go on the superhuman effort it took to get them. Well done you guys!

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:02 pm

The one with the Teddy fur is a runt. The others actually look about 5 months old to me.

Peg, the pregnant sows went to Bakersfield. But I'm sure there are other pigs in SF for you to foster. Thanks for the offer.