URGENT - 9 PIGS IN MARTINEZ CA, to be put down within 2 days

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:11 pm

Sorry, posted at the same time.

The shelter had only given me the name of the rescue and her first name. I've left a message. Thanks.

I'm pretty damn well pissed off that this Laurie person didn't call me before she took all the pigs, as I requested the shelter volunteer to do. You tell me why in hell a rescue would be so ANXIOUS to take on the responsibility of 9 guinea pigs with 4 pregnant? Wouldn't you call someone who you knew at a minimum had foster homes lined up to at least find out what the options were?

Sincere apologies to Val for her troubles and effort. How can we make it up to her?

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:12 pm

That is really too bad.

Caroline told me that she and Val had planned on putting TBB on the list but hadn't done it yet.

I think part of the problem with Val is that she is very sensitive about shelters. She is concerned about the conditions there and now is trying to get Caroline to take some of the rabbits. She's just a little thin-skinned and is more upset over the conditions than anything else.

imanut4u

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:20 pm

T, I completely understand where you are coming from, as a rescue, and I also understand how things are at the shelter level.

Just frustrated I guess due to a situation involving rescue vs. shelter policies this week. Too many times rescues do indeed act as though shelters should just bend over and kiss their feet even when the rescue has never been heard of.

Chary, do agree $2 is not ideal, nor are fees for other animals.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:22 pm

Just for the record, this cat and dog volunteer animal rescue is Tri Valley Animal Rescue (tvar.org) and their main number is 925-803-7043. The other number must be Lorraine's number.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:28 pm

oops. I'd chuckle about that if I weren't so annoyed.

Well, if they're a dog and cat shelter then at least that's better than a backyard breeder looking for fertile sows.

Teresa, we'll get it right one of these times.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:49 pm

Most interesting......

Tri-Valley animal rescue is a dog/cat shelter in my area that has been totally unresponsive to my requests for posting information about rescues locally. They are located in Pleasanton about 15 minutes from my house. I checked them out when I was adopting my lab 5 years ago. I wasn't impressed and adopted through another local shelter. I've never heard of them taking quinea pigs before.

You'd think that they might want return e-mails of a local person who was willing to do cavy education for adopters and build cages. My posters are up in all the local vet's offices and the non-pet selling feed and pet stores. Most of the local managers know me well and refer guinea pig care questions to me. The tri-valley isn't that big of an area. I've never heard of them doing anything but dogs/cats.

I also sent them informational posters on the Hollister rescue. I never heard a darn thing.

I'm quite relieved it is not who I suspected.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:29 pm

THESE PIGS ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION/FOSTER.

We still need to get them out. More in a bit.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:32 pm

Crimeny. I'm not sure but Val may have left. I will check.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:42 pm

She has left, but she and Caroline will be in Oakhurst until Saturday night. So if someone can get the pigs to them, they will get them to me. Let me know.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:42 pm

Here's the poop.

Denise is the founder of TVAR and it was her daughter, Lorraine who went to pick them up. The *&*#^% person at the shelter DID NOT convey my message to the daughter to call me when she got there. She got my message later on her voice mail.

Denise doesn't have a lot of experience with gps, although she's already taken them to her vet who apparently does have gp experience. 4 females, all pregnant, one very young. One is apparently ready to pop. They were ultrasounded. They all look like they are related.

Denise's number is 925-248-5800 (muppysmom@aol.com). Lynx, later on you can edit out these numbers, but right now it's easier to put it here.

Some of the pigs at that shelter apparently have gone for snake food.

I don't think it's super critical that they leave her house asap. Need to factor in that one heavily pregnant sow who is probably on a 2nd or 3rd or 4th litter.

I'll leave you guys to coordinate with each other directly.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:43 pm

Where's Oakhurst?

Oh yeah, and they seem friendly, like they've been handled.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:47 pm

Do you want me to get in touch with her?

I can't foster but I can hold their hands and answer any questions locally.

I've got extra coroplast if they need it. We could whip up a cage if necessary.