URGENT - 9 PIGS IN MARTINEZ CA, to be put down within 2 days

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:58 pm

She'll probably have to pay the $5 per pig fee. You apparently have to be on their pre-approved 501c3 list to get the fee waived.

Let me know the total and I'll reimburse her for it.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:05 pm

Ok, Val is on her way. Don't worry about the fee--The Bunny Bunch will reimburse her (Caroline is the prez). I'll keep you posted.

cindy29

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:54 pm

I could have helped I live 20 minutes from martinez.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Cindy, email me at Charybdis444@aol.com. The pigs will still be in town until tomorrow.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:58 pm

It looks as though you guys have gotten this covered! What a great job! I like to see people pull together like this.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:03 pm

Some other east bay rescue volunteer is on their way right now to pick up the 4 pregnant females.

I asked to have that person call me when she gets there. Whether she does or not remains to be seen.

It's first come, first serve there on adoptions. I don't think they give a flip if a dog trainer came in to pay $5 a piece for fighting bait.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:56 pm

Teresa, it's even more disgusting than that. The adoption fee is 2$. I hate these snake food factories that call themselves a shelter.

Valerie may already be at the shelter. She called and told them she was coming. So if the pigs are gone already, have the rescuer call me & I'll put her in touch with Val.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:19 pm

Well, maybe there's a chance that Val will beat the other person. I'm just concerned about a 'rescue' that I've never heard of taking only pregnant females and leaving males. And the reason I'm concerned that I've never heard of them, is where do they advertise/promote their cavies for adoption?

I'm really dissapointed in the attitude several people at this shelter seemed to have in speaking with a rescue.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:48 pm

That's really too bad. We have a shelter here that charges 4$ and they just sold a bunch of 4 week old bunnies for snake food yesterday. But they are at least willing to begin working with us.

Some shelters seem to think of rescuers as meddlers whose very presence seems to say, "you're not doing a good enough job."

I'm concerned about this alleged "rescuer" taking the pregnant females. This couldn't be that collector with 200 pigs, could it?

imanut4u

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:43 pm

Some shelters seem to think of rescuers as meddlers whose very presence seems to say, "you're not doing a good enough job."

Based on the comments in this thread, could it possibly be that miscommunication is part of the problem? You've expressed disgust for the "price" and the fact they can't/don't screen. They on the other hand have probably had some issues with rescues not being great too.

First come first serve is necessary in many facilities here. "Holds" were once allowed, but many times the party (rescue or private adopter) didn't show up and the animal missed it's chance to be adopted due to being held for the positively "commited" person who promised to return. Sucks to be on the other end of the needle knowing how things played out for the cat who's been on hold, so new policies are put in place, and holds aren't allowed.

How many times have adopters rescheduled with you? Not really a big deal for a rescue since euthanasia day doesn't come, but for a shelter with a myriad of animals coming in, time does matter.

Discrimination is another serious issue at the county level. We cannot pick and choose who is the "better home" unless there have been violations.

Unless this shelter knows either rescue, all parties are "alleged", no?

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:59 pm

i4u, I'm going to have to ignore your comment for now, and I'm sure if you ask around, someone will surely chime in with their opinion as to why a 2$ adoption fee isn't the greatest idea.

Teresa, Val was too late. The other rescue took all the pigs even though Val called and told them that she was on her way. She is very upset, because she postponed her trip to go get them.

The rescue is called Tri Valley Rescue, owner Lorraine Mettles (925) 275-1425. I thought you might want to check them out.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:03 pm

I had her send me the paperwork to be on their list of rescues. Even that doesn't matter. I think there's a big difference between a rescue saying they are coming to get pigs and an adopter.

My concern over their policies was not expressed to them. Their attitude was upfront and rather dismissive before I even had much of a chance to say anything. And I wasn't commenting on anything, just trying to get the facts, policies and logistics understood.

And I did ask who the rescuer was who was coming to get them. Some volunteer who works from some other rescue--not the one the we know. And this rescue volunteer was identified as a personal friend of the volunteer I spoke with at this shelter and therefore 'okay and just fine.' May be. For this shelter, it doesn't seem to matter anyway.

Unfortunately, I believe taking the pregnant females is suspect.

Thing that gets me is absolutely no screening of potential adopters. No applications. My issue isn't with holds or first come, first serve--but no screening.

As far as rescues not being too great, they claimed that if a rescue was on the "list" then that meant they were approved and just fine.

On another shelter note, PHS (our big, visible shelter here) is now changing it's adoption policies. Much looser to improve their numbers. Per Jackie. They will now being doing same day adoptions of small animals at Petsmarts, including guinea pigs. That was one of our executive director's pet projects that we apparently in vain have tried to talk him out of.