Cavy vets in/around Philadelphia?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:42 pm

I received an email asking for help locating a cavy-knowledgeable vet in the Philadelphia area. She had looked up vets on Seagull's Compendium, but none were nearby. She's been to two vets already, but neither knew anything about guinea pigs (symptom is bloody discharge). Anyone have a name/phone number of a place I can send her to?

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:35 pm

Doesn't Penn have a good vet school with a clinic?

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:37 pm

Here's one from the recommended vet list. Did you check there too? There might be others.

Dr. Brett J. Geffen
Boulevard Animal Hospital
1913 Grant Avenue Philadelphia, PA
215-969-1050

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:40 pm

Here's the UPenn one:

Matthew J. Ryan Veterinary Hospital

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:48 pm

Thanks so much! I forwarded those along, and I've found out she's gotten a couple of other recommendations. I hope one of them works out.

MommyofGus

Post   » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:06 pm

I know this is an old thread, but Pooksied, did you ever get any feedback on the vet you suggested?

So far I'm OK with my vet but (knock on wood) I haven't had to use him that much.

Swannie, I am going to look into the vet you posted. That's very close to my house.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:43 pm

I'm not sure how far you're willing to drive, but when we lived in the Philly area, this was our vet, in case you're ever looking for more references.

Gloria J. Goodman, VMD
Avian and Exotic Animal Medical Center
3000 Concord Road
Aston, PA 19014
610-494-2811

We really loved her and her staff. She was very knowledgeable and great with our pigs.

MommyofGus

Post   » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:45 pm

I know of Aston, but I really don't know where it is. How far from NE Philly?

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:08 am

We used to live in Havertown, which was about 20-25 minutes away from Aston. I'm guessing it would take about an hour, maybe a bit longer from NE Philly. Not very convenient I guess, but if there's ever any need for you to drive out there, we loved her.

MommyofGus

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:49 pm

As long as you truly think she's good, I will keep her in mind.

I once drove about 45 mins (one way) to a vet at 9pm because she had rave reviews. When I got there, I realized she was an idiot, and brushed me off as someone spending too much money on "just" a guinea pig. In the end, I found an great vet about 10 minutes from my house who took the time and fixed Gus. Turns out he had a broked leg, and the first vet didn't want to do xrays (even though I was there two days in a row insisting!!)

Anywho, I always like to have good cavy savy vets on hand.

Tracy

Post   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Reviving this conversation since I now live in Philly and am looking for good exotics vets. We don't need one right now, but my research shows mostly pig-savvy docs outside the city, and I'm hoping for a knowledgeable practice right in the city if possible. My sense (I have not called to confirm/clarify) is that the vet school at Penn treats 'em by referral only. Any insights appreciated!

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:37 pm

I don't have any personal experience but had you looked at the list? It shows a few in Philly.

Bree's Animal Hospital
http://breesanimalhospital.com
7436 Frankford Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19136

Phone: (215) 338-3219
Fax: (215) 624-7466

Contributor unknown.
Website verified and updated: March 13, 2016
Boulevard Animal Hospital
http://boulevardanimalhospital.com
Dr. Brett J. Geffen
1913 Grant Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19115

Phone: (215) 969-1050

Very friendly, helpful, enthusiastic, and educated doctors and staff. Very knowledgeable with pigs and exotics. Helped Piggy when she had a cyst. Highly recommended!
Contributed by: Wilber - 3/11/2004, 9:22 pm
Website verified: March 13, 2016
Girard Veterinary Clinic
www.girardvetphila.com
2806 W Girard Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19130

Phone: (215) 232-0831

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... b064de19ec