The importance of xrays for diagnosing malocclusion.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:59 pm

I can´t figure out dorsal on a tooth. Dorsal should be the roots. It means "back." Hmmmm.... Don´t they use buccal and lingual to describe teeth there? I´ll ask my vet on Monday.

pinta

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:24 am

The tongue was fine - I asked.

J - beats me.

melcvt00

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:48 am

The 15 degrees goes from the dorsal of the inside of the upper cheek teeth to the ventral and lateral of the cheek teeth

Here´s my take on this.....means the angle goes from the inside of the upper molar to the outside, which would make the "point" on the outside.

and it is parallel on the lower cheek teeth

Parallel means "same angle". So, I´m assuming that on the bottom, the angle would go from the inside to the outside, making the "points" of the upper and lower molars meet together on the cheek side of the guinea pig´s mouth.

Now...I´m just wondering how right I am. :)

pinta

Post   » Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:19 am

Parallel means "same angle". So, I´m assuming that on the bottom, the angle would go from the inside to the
outside, making the "points" of the upper and lower molars meet together on the cheek side of the guinea pig´s
mouth.

From Dr. Legendre:
No the "points" on the lower cheek teeth are on the lingual side of the teeth. If they overgrow they form an arch over the tongue and trap it.
Last edited by pinta on Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:14 pm

Willie's xray was from the Canadian Veterinary Journal - a scan of a printed page. I'm going to try and get a good xray of a mouth with a proper bite. Willie's xray was after he had been using the Chin-Sling for a few months and proved that the Sling alone was keeping his molars ground down. Previously he had been getting his teeth planed every 4 to 6 weeks and kept losing weight, regardless.

pinta

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:56 pm

Although I was given information that the molars should be planed at a 15 degree
angle - my dental vet has told me now it should be 30 degrees. Go figure. Personally
I think it's a plot to drive me crazy. I double-checked and asked for a confirmation
as to which it was and this is the answer(whatever the heck it means).

Is it 15 or 30 degrees?

30 degrees

When you look at the GP head on the occlusal tables form an open V
Loïc Legendre, DVM, FAVD
Diplomate AVDC, EVDC

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:25 pm

Pinta, I'm glad you moved this thread up. Sam has overgrown molars arching over the tongue, a head tilt, and bulging eyes. He is supposed to have his teeth ground down on Thursday but I think now I will ask for x-rays too. Wonder if this will change the way the vet is supposed to grind them. I'll see if I can get him to read this thread.

pinta

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:43 pm

Dr. Legendre planed Bloom's teeth more than usual to compensate for the root elongation. The latest set of xrays(6 weeks after initial dental work) shows the elongation has been arrested, which means the Chin-Sling has worked thus far. Her jaw muscles are more built up since wearing it too.

She is wearing the Chin-Sling 12 hours a day.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:09 am

Well, I emailed my vet and he sent me to his site, where there are some good rads of root elongation in rabbits. They also have a dental machine.

http://www.lbah.com/Rabbits/malocclusion.htm

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:29 pm

Is root elongation similiar or the same as wave jaw? If root elongation is not present could wave jaw still be a possibility?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:34 pm

Nope, although both may be present on one pig. Wave Jaw deals more with bone loss on the jaw (which may be present with pocket of infection/pus that you can only see on xrays). My sow's xrays showed a few elongated roots, but there was a wavy appearance to the jaw and places that were "blank" due to probable pus and destroyed bone. They still aren't sure what causes all of this, but malocclusion and genetics are strong suspects.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:36 pm

Would that show up on skull rads or dental xrays?