Female piggy at Yolo County Shelter (Woodland, CA)

ottosmom

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:04 am

There is a female piggy at Yolo County Shelter. She must have been in bad shape when she came in, because she went to the vet right away. Turns out she had a stone and they had to remove it. I think it was in the urethra. She also has quite a bit of hair loss on both sides of her rear, which I'm assuming is hormonal (no skin irritation or scratching). She seems scared in the shelter, but she comes out for veggies and wheeks.

http://imageevent.com/lisaspictures/pig ... terpiggies

Jezie+Pottersmom

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:43 pm

I may be able to foster her...???

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:56 pm

Are you even in CA? Your profile says Montana. That's quite some distance.

Jezie+Pottersmom

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:43 am

What about transport for her?

ottosmom

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:29 am

I can pull her out of the shelter if anyone wants to adopt her.

There's also a 4 year old female that just came into the Sacramento City shelter.

http://imageevent.com/lisaspictures/pig ... terpiggies

The really bad shelter in this area where piggies are not safe is the Sacramento County shelter. They are a high-kill shelter and they sell animals for research. No piggies there as of yesterday.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:18 pm

What cuties!

The Sac City one looks like a breeder pig. She's a red American (no such thing as "brown" as far as colors in cavies). Did I see an ear tag in that left ear? I can provide temporary care for either one if needed and a home can be lined up. They might even be able to be paired up eventually.

Did the Yolo Co. one get spayed when she had her bladder surgery? She will need a spay if the hairloss is hormonal.

J: Your offer of foster care is generous, I just don't know how feasible it is for us to transport either pig so far away for fostering.