Conroe, TX Guinea Pigs Need a Home

sillycavies

Post   » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:23 pm

Someone I work with bought a pregnant pet store pig in January. It looked like she had 2 boys and a girl. The "brothers" recently had 2 babies, bringing the total number of pigs in the household to 6---more than the family feels it can comfortably manage. They want to rehome up to 4 of the guinea pigs. The 2 babies won't be up for adoption for at least 2 more weeks, as they were born last week. These are all short-haired guinea pigs and very healthy. I'm trying to get some photos of them. Please contact me if you are interested in any of these guinea pigs. All are under a year old, well-kept and in good health.

sillycavies

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:57 pm

Update to this story:

The mother of the 2 babies died today, leaving 2 pups who are almost 3 weeks old. My co-workers husband just directed her to bring the guinea pigs to work tomorrow and dispose of them by whatever means possible, be it stocking the pet store or whatever. They have 5 guinea pigs and want to rehome at least 3 of them--the babies and their father. The father is 6 months old. I will try to get some photos for anyone interested to view.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:04 pm

Ugh, how sad for momma pig. I hope someone can take these sweeties in.

sillycavies

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:22 pm

Yes it is sad that the pups lost their mother. I hope I can find someone to take them. I'm considering fostering them if that's what it takes to save them from the pet store. At least one of the pigs has Silky/Sheltie-type fur. Contrary to my original post, the babies are almost 3 weeks old. I'd not realized it had been that long since their birth.

Snowflakelike

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:31 pm

I would appreciate pictures. I might want one. The pig at the Brazos Valley Shelter was gone when I called, but we were kind of iffy about it anyway because it looks pretty big and we would like them as tiny as possible. 3 weeks old would sound good.

Brianna
Forum Fan Club

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:13 pm

Why do you want a tiny pig? It's going to grow up too you know.

ChadWPB

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:50 pm

I love my mature pigs. They're so calm and laid back, right out of the adoption box.

I have friends that might get pigs after their elderly dog passes on. They'd prefer mature (2 yrs.+) piggies.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:58 pm

A friend of mine is interested--I sent you her email address.

Snowflakelike

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:09 pm

Why tiny pigs? Because they're so cute like that! You get to have all the fun of little pigs followed by the joy of big pigs. It's not like you miss anything if you get them little.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:59 pm

I have tiny pigs, they are cute but I love my bigger pigs just as much. They grow so fast they will be big before you know it anyhow. You have such a nice selection to choose from where you live.

sillycavies

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:46 pm

Update: Baxter, the pups' dad, was adopted today. I have the pups, whom I'm calling Tidbit and Morsel. I confirmed that they were born either very late June 9th, or early June 10th, so they are only 2 weeks old. The other pig up for adoption is a 6-month-old sow. The family is on vacation, so I'll get a photo of her next week.

Salana, I sent your friend an e-mail.

Sylvester, I agree with you. Tidbit and Morsel are adorable, but I've gotten most of my pigs as adults and can't imagine loving them a bit less because we got together later in life. I'd really like to rescue a senior and give him or her a nice retirement home someday.

My criteria for adopting a new pig are: What's in the shelter and do I have room? A Witherspoon-type Texel is my fantasy pig, but I seem to enjoy any pig I come across.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:41 pm

One thing I appreciate about an older pig is you have some idea what their personality is. With younger ones it can be hit or miss.