Anyone on forum from Bucks/Montgomery Area in PA? Need info

Chele

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:45 am

I am looking to adopt a baby male guinea pig for my Chirpy. He is a boar approx. 9 months old. I just had a few questions if someone responds back from the area. I sent an email to a shelter in Hatboro, PA I found through the Petfinder link. Thanks.

MommyofGus

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:09 am

Did you contact the 'Looking for Love' pet shelter?

I bought my C&C cage from them and it seemed like a nice shelter. A volunteer builds the cages and gives the profit to the shelter.

When I get a friend, I will be going to that shelter.

Chele

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:58 pm

Yes, I did email 'Looking for Love' since the first time around I was looking for love in all the wrong places ..... such as Petco and Petsmart.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum had adopted through them. I emailed them as well to inquire about their cages I was wondering if I should build my own C&C or order one through them so they can get the donation. But money is so tight right now that if there's much of a difference I will build one. Would be a fun project. (I just haven't mentioned all this to my husband yet.) I keep him on a need to know basis when it comes to the GP especially about vet bills.....

I have to get a companion for our guinea pig ASAP it is cruel having him alone he is sooo bored I can tell. I definitely knew alot more about teddy bear hamsters than I do about GPs. I am learning fast though thanks to Guinea Lynx. First thing I learned was that everything the petstore told me was wrong and I mean everything...even the part about guinea pigs not biting. I've been biten more by GP the past 5 months than the four years I had my teddy bear hamster. But hey I would bite to if I was in solitary for five months. As a matter of fact I have started biting since I was laid off and I am home 24-7 with the children.....Actually many times I was biten it was when I was holding him and he just heard my 2 1/2 year old daughter. Maybe that is why I am biting too plus my hair is definitely thinning should I dose myself with Ivermectin?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:59 pm

Skin the Ivermectin and go for the Baytril.. In humans, it causes hallucinations.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:38 pm

Have you been sniffing the ivermectim, E?

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:41 pm

I haven't had any direct experience with Looking for Love, but I adopted from their "sister rescue" Have-a-Heart in NJ. Kudos to you for looking to adopt a rescue piggy instead of buying from a petstore! I'm sure the Looking for Love folks can help you find a good match for your current pig.

I'd say if money is tight for you right now, build a C&C cage yourself. You can always make a donation directly to the rescue later.

Chele

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:15 am

Thanks. Sounds like good advice. I saw a lot of great cages when viewing the slide show. Many by people on this forum. I'm almost positive I saw Nurgle somewhere on a site - is was that face & those paws. I was briefly inspired when I saw the theme cages. But I know if I start on that it will only slow things down. I need a lab I can work in late at night where I can hide it from my husband...Although I'll need his tools..If I could only get him on board he could build an awesome cage in no time.

Baytril sounded like good advice too....Maybe I'll slip my husband some and take advantage of him and his tools. You know for the cage building....jeez

spikes mom

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:59 pm

I adopted my Spike and Hawk from Looking for Love. Jen communicated with me via e-mail and the process went very smoothly. My foster dad called me to make arrangements to meet and formally adopt our beautiful and healthy boys.

When I have more room, I would adopt 2 more!
I live in Bucks county near Montco border.

MommyofGus

Post   » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:09 pm

Wow, a Perkasie and a Hatboro person. I thought I was the only one from the Philadelphia area on this board!

rememberfurball

Post   » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:14 pm

Bucks county Spca often has guinea pigs. I adopted a 6 month old from them. Check them out...they seem to get lots of pigs.

Ange1icflowers

Post   » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:30 pm

I adopted my Cuddles from the sister rescue Have a Heart...and now i'm helping the organizer Marci as much as possible. I've turned into a piggy fanatic! lol.

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:07 pm

MommyofGus, I'm from the Philly area too! I grew up in Bensalem and after I graduated high school, my parents moved back into Philly (northeast). I'm hoping to move back there, if I can ever convince my west coast-native boyfriend that winter snow and summer humidity is not life-threatening.