Over 20 Guinea Pigs at THS

Emokid

Post   » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:11 pm

My brother wanted to see if the Toronto Humane Society had any rabbits, so we checked out their adoptables and I was shocked to find four new pairs of guinea pigs on the adoptables list. I know it's a low kill shelter ( meaning they only put very ill or vicious animals to sleep) but it's still sad. My mom went there a few weeks ago to adopt one pig for my brother, but they told us they could only be adopted in pairs. I allready have four guinea pigs and our family cannot have another pair (cost reasons).

They have many beautiful pigs (including a himi and two lovely self blacks) that are looking for a loving home. One pig (Mango, who my brother wanted) has been there since March 22. I wish that these pigs are as lucky as everyones pigs here and find a good home.

Even if your not wanting to adopt they are still worth looking at here

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:17 pm

"I allready have four guinea pigs and our family cannot have another pair (cost reasons)."

FYI, I've found that the cost differential between caring for 5 (getting an additional single pig) and 6 pigs is really quite negligible. The only drastic expense might be if the "6th pig" (or any of them, for that matter) requires extensive veterinary care.

They are cute pigs.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:58 am

I just went and saw all these pigs on Friday. My friend is the volunteer chief for the small animal department and has been trying desperately to get them to supply fresh hay for the pigs, with no great success. She's been bringing some from home for them poor things.

I will have to speak with her about their adopting in pairs policy. I know at one point they were separating pairs that came in together, and she was trying to stop this, making sure bonded pairs went together. Maybe they've taken it too far? I would think if someone had one pig at home and wanted to adopt a buddy for it that should be acceptable.

gpmom

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:20 pm

Alice do you see this friend often. I could likely get a bale of hay to you for her to take in.

VMOUSE1970
Supporter in '05

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:53 am

I like Jonas and Joshua.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:48 am

I see her about once a month, gpmom. That would be amazing if you could donate a bale of hay! I'm sure it would be much appreciated. You should hear those pigs wheek when they hear her plastic bag with the hay in it.

I have to say, Lisa is an absolute doll. She loves to be pet, and will come running over for lovin's. She's the perfect pig for a family.

Emokid

Post   » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:34 am

Lisa is an absolute doll. She loves to be pet, and will come running over for lovin's. She's the perfect pig for a family.

I talked to my mom about adopting her, she said okay but only if we can get her as a single. Do you know if shes part of a pair?

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:50 am

Did you want to adopt her to live with your existing herd, or to live alone? I think that's where the problem was when you went down there. It should be fine to adopt just her if she was eventually going to be introduced to other pigs, but they really don't want pigs to adopted out to live by themselves.

gpmom donated a huge bag of hay yesterday, that I will be getting to THS as soon as possible! Thanks gpmom, the pigs will be so happy.

Vanessa

Post   » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:25 pm

I adopted my pig Wilbur from the THS, and am about to adopt another pig from there. If pigs come in together and are bonded, the THS tries thier best not to break them up. However, they do have many single pigs. The THS does do their best, but it breaks my heart to see so many animals needing homes.

Vanessa

Post   » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:38 am

I was at the THS last night, and adopted another pig. He was the only single male pig, although they did have ~5 single females. They also had many sets of two bonded pigs. I wanted to adopt a set of two, but my boyfriend put his foot down (we already have two boars at home) so I adopted the single male.
If anyone in the Toronto area has room in their homes for two pigs, have a look at the THS website, www.torontohumanesociety.com. I think people get two pigs when they are small, then when they get larger they dump them at the shelter. These pairs are understandably harder to adopt out, but the THS is commited to not breaking up bonded pairs. Check out the pics on the website, these pigs are real cuties!

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:39 pm

I am glad I don't have to choose. What a selection!

Vanessa

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:12 pm

Someone adopted Mango, the white sow with a black spot on her face! She was the pig that started this topic. Was it you, Emokid? Whomever it was, I'm glad she was adopted, she had been at the THS for a while.