Ovarian Cysts - picture

Maxine

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:28 am

Thought members might be interested to see this picture of recently removed ovarian cysts from Caroline Whittle´s guinea pig, Tabitha. Tabby is a very small, slim, crested guinea, she´s about 2 years old. She became gradually fatter and fatter and as she was living with an aged male (6 years old), Caroline thought that she was pregnant (she´d been living with the male for some time without any resulting pregnancy). However, no babies resulted and Tabby got fatter and fatter. We also then noticed some hair loss and she became very sensitive to touch down both sides plus quite aggressive. Caroline had been told previously that if the pig had ovarian cysts, there was nothing that could be done for her. We couldn´t just let her die though so she was taken to a great vet, Mr Clarke, in Staines, Middlesex who, last Thursday morning performed the operation on her and took out these huge cysts. Touchwood, Tabby is doing well so far. Back to the vet on Saturday to check the scar which is healing nicely, no oozing or infection. Another antibiotic injection. The piggie is eating and drinking normally. She´s got a scar from her neck to her back legs which is not surprising given the size of the cysts. She´s back to the vet in 10 days for stitches out. This vet is very good with guineas. He used to keep them himself and is not afraid to carry out surgery unlike some who think its not worth it on a pig. In addition, Caroline is very proactive in the after care, something which many people (and I don´t mean those on this board) are. Many people would think £100 to spend on a pig´s operation and then intensive aftercare, would be too much money and trouble "just for a guinea pig". Hopefully, Tabby will make a complete recovery. At least so far she is doing well and has a fighting chance which is something she didn´t have with the first vet. If only more vets esp in the UK were keen to learn more about guinea pigs and how to help them.
( I hope you can all see the picture. If not, maybe someone can tell me how to put it on the web! Thanks)

Maxine

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:49 am

Oooh I can´t insert the picture. Can someone tell me how to do it without going to Geocites or whatever. I thought I could copy and paste but I can´t.

imanut4u

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:05 am

At the top of this page you´ll see a link, click the button titled "To Reply Page". Toward the bottom of the new page you will see a box to insert a photo.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:01 am

Wow! Those are HUGE ovarian cysts! I have a pic of my guinea pigs ovarian cysts but they were nowhere near as big -- perhaps the size of a quarter.

I cropped this pic so it would load. These cysts are perhaps 2 1/2" in diameter.

Maxine

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:52 am

Yes, they were whoppers. The vet was amazed and called his colleagues in to look. She´s a tiny piggie too. Hopefully, she´ll make a full recovery now.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:25 pm

Gack! No wonder her sides hurt...

purrie

Post   » Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:00 pm

Those are huge! Poor baby - I hope she´s feeling better now.

Maxine

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:39 am

Tabby went back to the vet last Thursday (29th Aug) to have the stitches removed. She´d done brilliantly since she had the cysts removed so let´s hope that´s it!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:35 pm

So happy to hear the good news. My pig is doing fine several months after her spay (she´s even a touch friendlier).

More info on her surgery and symptoms:

www.guinealynx.info/surgery.html
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

susanallen

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:41 pm

My guinea pig, Whisper, is 4 years old and has recently been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. Should I have her spayed or not?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:22 pm

Small ovarian cysts can sometimes be reduced with an injected medication (HCG??) if they are caught early. However, most sows need to be spayed. You really want it do BEFORE the pig starts going downhill, too.

Guinea pig surgery is much more delicate that it is in cats and dogs, for example, so the vets needs to be experienced. I´d definitely have your sow spayed, but by a competent, experienced exotic vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:53 pm

Teresa has a page on neuters at cavyspirit. It is more detailed about male neuters but the advice on finding a vet is the same.

Check out the Guinea Lynx button and find Neutering in the index.

HCG is a temporary fix. And I understand it can be expensive. You might try a search on ovarian cysts for more info.