URGENT-CA-PHS Shelter (Bay Area)

purrie

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:53 pm

Nastybreeder, I don´t know what kind of vet you have that would charge $100 to put a pig to sleep. Leo had liver cancer, and when the time came, there was no stress. Except for the shot, he stayed in my arms the whole time. He was not anxious or frightened. I think it is worse to stick them in a box and gas them where they are not comforted by companions, human or cavy.

It cost $20.

Numen - guiding spirit or deity. Hmmm... maybe Teresa´s gift with cavies could be described this way. I don´t know, I´ve never met her.

Sunny

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:06 pm

Numinous - mystical, spiritual, magical... yep, that´s Teresa. You hit the nail right on the head piggiepie.

I have a lot more to add to that list but you people wouldn´t appreciate it.

lisam

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:37 pm

This thread has been very enlightening. I knew that snake people used CO2 to kill the mice for their snakes, but had no idea that guinea pig breeders used it also.

I would not be able to do it. It is not in my nature to take a life. I can give the go-ahead, and be there, and hold my friend in my arms, but could not do the actual deed. I will gladly pay a vet hundreds of dollars to do so (and with my two beloved horses, it came to hundreds of dollars). But not until I was sure that there was not one last shred of hope that the animal could live a decent life.

Cordelia
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:48 pm

Teresa,

Put your damn magical wand down! We are all under your spell apparently....or it could just be that we all have a great respect for Teresa and what she has done for many cavies in this world.

pinta

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:52 pm

I´m in agreement that guinea pigs are not people. Why would you think they are?

Did I miss something? Where did anyone say guinea pigs are people?

I guess living in a multi cultural society has made me more tolerant of others beliefs and practises than you
pinta.
It is very easy for me to say "not something I want to do/eat, but it is okay that you want to do so"

What makes you think I don´t live in a multicultural society? Vancouver is extremely multicultural. In many areas caucasians are the minority and English is a second language. Regardless, this is still North America and cultural practises that are acceptable in other countries are not acceptable here. This is not my personal dictum. It is an observation borne out by a lack of larva bistros and horsemeat restaurants. They don´t sell dog meat in Chinatown. I doubt you could even open a rat restaurant here even if you wanted to - health inspectors wouldn´t allow it.

What makes you think I am intolerant of others´ beliefs and customs? Did I say anywhere that I did? I have no problem with people eating cavies in South America. No problem with people eating insects(I have an insect recipe book) or dogs if that is a cultural tradition in their society (although a big problem in China is the inhumane way the dogs are treated before slaughter). I don´t think a cavy judge eating her culls has anything to do with beliefs and customs. I think it shows that she regards these animals as nothing more than livestock. Is she judging the amount of meat on them? I wonder if she´d eat kittens if she was a cat judge?

Perhaps letting the really sick pigs go peacefully would help the overpopulation problem?

Why not just kill every pig when they reach 5 years of age. That would help the overpopulation problem too. This is an illogical statement. My sick pigs made it through their illnesses and continued to live a good life. You are saying I should have just killed them to make room for more pigs?

a breeder who has been
around longer than a few years knows a whole lot more and most everything you need can be obtained at a
feed store.

Yeah, I´ve seen some of the advice longtime breeders have. Antibiotics in the water. Precautionary dosing with Tetracycline in the water. No point doing ultrasound or xrays for heart problems because there is no treatment.

For the most part breeder cavy health advice is dodgy at best. Vets are learning more and more and sharing the information with the intention of expanding the longevity of their patients. Can breeders say the same? Yeah, there are crappy vets and there are crappy breeders. But even the crappy vets have access to the latest advances in medical treatment. Breeders don´t.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:14 pm

However, with the current dearth of cavy-trained vets, a breeder who has been around longer than a few years knows a whole lot more and most everything you need can be obtained at a feed store.

Tell me, what cavy safe antibiotics can you get at a feed store?

I thought Pinta hit the nail on the head with her comments:
Face it - your pigs are products. Which begs the question of why you are posting on a forum where people regard their pigs as pets. Don´t you have a breeder forum to post on or was your axe so blunt you had to drag it over here for grinding?

Do you serve any purpose here other than as an irritant?

And Jahcque, as to your advocating TOLERANCE of " the culling/eating/whatever practices of some breeders" -- it is these very things which speak volumes on who these breeders really are and how they view their "product". They have NO RESPECT FOR LIFE.

This is indeed a pet oriented board. We do the best we can to share what we know and encourage medical intervention when needed. It would appear you do not belong here if you can support and TOLERATE the culling/eating practices of some breeders.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:30 pm

God knows I love ya, Lynx, but I´m not as offended by the eating of guinea pigs as you and others are. I don´t believe someone who does eat them necessarily has no respect for life. And I think it´s a tishbit hypocritical to slam someone for eating a pig while we eat other animals. Only vegans are really in the position to make that claim. But that´s really a separate issue from adding to the pig population.

I also don´t think we should lump Jahcqui in with NB. From what they´ve written, I don´t believe J is like NB at all. Though I do disagree with J´s breeding, I really don´t think she´s unethical, heartless, and hellbound. I get the feeling she does have respect for and really cares about her pigs--even the ´stock´. I just think her expression of that is detrimental, on the whole. I hope this doesn´t sound condescending, because I don´t intend it to be, but I just think J is a little naive when it comes to the cycle of pig breeding and buying. But I also think one day she´ll come around, and then she´ll run a kickass rescue. Besides the breeding, I have no issue with her. And from the little she´s posted here, I even kinda like her.

NB is another story. From his/her posts, it´s very apparent that s/he believes animals are here solely for human enjoyment and consumption and doesn´t believe we owe them anything. This person has a serious character flaw.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:51 pm

It really doesn´t have to do so much with the eating of a guinea pig as what it says about that breeder´s attitude toward them. I doubt there are any cultural aspects (here), as Pinta pointed out. And I doubt a cavy pet owner would eat a guinea pig the same as I doubt a dog or cat owner would eat a dog or cat.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:12 pm

I can see that. But I think there´s another side to it. When I was a kid, my grandparents bred and raised chickens for food. But at the same time, Granny also had some fighting chickens that she considered pets. She didn´t take them out on the fighting chicken circuit (if there is one); she just doted on them. Though I couldn´t do it, I know that some people can emotionally detach themselves and think of one animal as a pet while it´s brother is food.

But, there´s really not a pet chicken population problem, so there my analogy falls flat. Breeding pigs would be fine if there weren´t such an overabundance of homeless ones already. When so many pets are bought on impulse, kept in deplorable conditions, then turned over to shelters and rescues (if they´re not ´set free´ or killed for space purposes), no one really has any business adding more pets to the mix.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:26 pm

Quote:

You´d have to awfully hungry to eat cavy. There just isn´t much meat on ´em. Kinda like buffalo chicken wings. And like crab legs they´d be an awful lot of work to clean for the return you´d get on them. Still, I understand with shake-n-bake they can be quite palatable.

Nastybreeders Shake-n-Bake comment was only about being intentionally mean. Period.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:49 pm

You´re absolutely correct. NB made no valid or logical points at all and was only interested in baiting us and twisting our knickers.

Don´t you really wish E was here to knock it around a while?

piggypie

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:04 pm

pinta I never said you were intolerant, I said I was more tolerant than you

Do you think the reason there isn´t an overabundance of pet chickens is because we eat them?

You might be suprised at how often dog and cat are served at chinese restaurants under the name of chicken or pork... I know a chain of restaurants that were shut down because of it.
Last edited by piggypie on Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.