150-200 Guinea Pigs in Ann Arbor, MI

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:10 pm

Hi Jill,

Thank you. No, James isn´t one of the Ann Arbor pigs but he´s friends with Herman and that´s good enough for me! :-) All kidding aside, I´m just thankful we can at least give one Ann Arbor pig a home.

They are doing good. Eating like little piggies. Today I set up a pen with about 13 leftover cube grids and put it in the middle of the livingroom. The girls played with them off and on most of the afternoon. They should be some tired piggies tonight!

James is just an absolute sweetheart and Herman is getting more accustomed to being handled - not exactly loose and relaxed but doing better. The girls just absolutely love them. We also have a dog, a cat, a hamster and some fish. The girls were NEVER as excited about any of the other pets as they are about these pigs. I told the girls today that I can see it . . . one of these days, one of these piggies is going to come out wearing baby doll clothes. (That´s going to be where I draw the line.) I´m sure the novelty will wear off after a while but the girls really seem to be connecting with these guys. In MY opinion, these are really cool critters.

I´ll keep you posted from time to time. I´m expecting things to stay fairly uneventful, which isn´t all bad. Thanks for asking.
Cindy in MI

Jill

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:36 am

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying themselves. Keep having fun with those boys!

imanut4u

Post   » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:43 pm

The cream agouti mom from HVHS had 3 pups today sometime between 2:30 and 7pm. They are cute as can be, but of course my stupid camera won´t let me download the pictures on the computer!!!!
sow - white with a black face and cream splotches on her snout
boar - light chocolately color with white spots down her back; pink eyes
boar - black except one rear foot/leg is white, toes on one front foot and a smudge of white right on his chin.

The red/white mom is due anytime now, dilated the width of my index finger, I´m guessing 3 days since that´s how long the other mom was holding out after dilation!

Here´s a before photo of mom:
Last edited by imanut4u on Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becky

Post   » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:48 pm

Congrats! Mom is a real beauty.

Jill

Post   » Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:30 am

Keep us posted - they sound adorable! Can´t wait to see pictures. I hope you find homes for them all. Where have you been???? It couldn´t be that you have been a little busy with your 3 boys, husband, guinea pigs and guinea pig fosters and babies, cat, dog and job?

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:53 am

Congratulations to you, imanut4u, cream agouti Mom, and babies!! These babies are lucky to be born in a loving, caring home. I hope everyone grows, thrives and finds wonderful forever homes! Piggy hugs to you all.
Cindy in MI

imanut4u

Post   » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:12 pm

Well, today we have two boars and a sow. That little chocolately/lilac was a squirmer but certainly has an "i" rather than a "Y". (genetics people, can a chocolate have pink/ruby eyes?)

Red/White mom gave birth around 12:30am last night. She was dilated but I anticipated her to hold off as the other mom did. I think I missed the birth by maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

She had 2 live pups (both sows) and 1 stillborn boar. The stillborn was quite large (1.3 oz bigger than the other two) and there was quite a bit of blood. Mom didn´t clean the sack off him.

I noticed one of the pups was bleeding from it´s cord, leaving globs on the bedding... not sure why, unless mom got overzealous cleaning; it was chewed close to the skin. About 20 minutes of light pressure got the bleeding to stop and all seems fine today except the cord is a large scab.

One looks like a little mouse, white with black & grey (looks american but has a few tiny rosettes; so abby) , the other abby is primarily white with tan & brown patches. They are too cute!

Here´s litter number 1: boar, boar, sow And litter 2: sow, sow
Last edited by imanut4u on Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:22 pm

Imanut4u,

These guys are just WAY too cute! And another batch to boot! Again, congratulations to everyone! These mama piggies are keeping the piggies´ mama (YOU) busy, aren´t they?? Would love to see a picture of the newest ones whenever you get the chance. I am so sorry for the stillborn one. That´s gotta be hard. Poor baby. But I know you´ll take good care of the ones who made it.

Cindy in MI

imanut4u

Post   » Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:28 pm

Thanks for your good wishes Cindy, they are all very sweet. I´ll work on finding the hay farm again tomorrow or Friday then you and the girls can come meet the pups!

Finally got my digital to work (for now)
See prior picture post for both litters.
Last edited by imanut4u on Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jill

Post   » Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:05 pm

They sure are cute! I´ll bet the boys - and you - are enjoying them. I love seeing the photos of all the new babies, it´s just too bad the moms were in these bad situations where they were needlessly bred.

BIC

Post   » Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:48 pm

Just wanted to let people know....as of Saturday the 27th, there were still 4 piggies left at the Humane Society. I adopted two. One is pretty scabbed up, the other is good, other than chewed up ears...so I´m not sure if he came from the rescue, or just one of the ones dropped off. They are the sweetest pigs, the scabby one is pretty skittish, for obvious reasons, but is getting better. The other one, is the most loving pig, just snuggles forever with me. I can´t understand why people treat these pigs so bad!

LynnK

Post   » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:28 pm

We had a friend here in MN that lost all of her babies cause the mom didn´t know to clean the sack off and she was at work when they were born that was very sad.

Imanut4u, Congrats on your babies hope everyone is doing well I just love pics of the little babies.