barely eating x3 months, now impaction issues

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 pm

If you're pushing the hay back to his molars and he's not pulling it the rest of the way in, the problem is almost certainly that his molars are not hitting properly.

I use Bene-Bac as a probiotic. It's always worked for me.

I wouldn't automatically do bloodwork. It's very hard to get blood from a guinea pig, and it doesn't generally tell you a whole lot. Only if the x-rays of teeth and heart don't show anything would I consider letting them do bloodwork.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 pm

Bene-Bac is good...really, any plain acidophilus will do.

It does sound like it could be teeth-related.

platypus

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Looking back now, what i find interesting (disturbing?) is that the vet #2 who did the xrays did *not* suggest anesthesia oral exam which I didn't know about until the past month or so. She went right to "he needs a ct scan" which i mentioned before would cost $1k or so and requires a longer time under anesthesia

bpatters: I ok'd the bloodwork only because he'll be under anesthesia and that should (theoretically) make it easier to withdraw blood from him...we'll see i guess

Getting bene=bac this afternoon. Any vitamin b-complex brands? What do you think of this:

If you like this, how much should I give?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:47 pm

I wouldn't use anything like that (B vitamins for kids). Ideally, it needs to be something formulated for veterinary use. I haven't found what I used in the past; it was an injectable and I'm not sure it can be given orally. Likely something similar to this:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... B0D0204AE5

The range for B vitamins in guinea pigs is listed in exotics formulary as 0.02-0.2 mL/kg SC or IM (that is correct as written; mL and not mg).

I think since you are on for Monday, maybe see how it goes with the radiographs and have a discussion with your vet based on the results. If your vet doesn't support its use, I'm not sure I would go against that without talking to her first.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:53 pm

"Btw, the vet said she doesn't "believe" in vit. b." That seems pretty strange. I believe the subcutaneous fluids guinea pigs are frequently given to jump start recovery and help with dehydration include b vitamins.

platypus

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:51 pm

Gilbert wants to eat and nibbles on hay & greens, doesn't touch the pellets, the food doesn't go back to his molars apparently (seeing the vet on Mon. for anesthesia oral exam)

He's getting 1/2 critical care/1/2 ground alfalfa pellets w/pumpkin & water. It's thickish.

He's taken 80=100 cc/day the last 11 days. But he's losing weight every single day, 1030 gm. today (down 8 from yesterday, down 69 gms from a week ago)

Shouldn't that amount of handfeeding volume keep him from losing weight every day?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:04 pm

He needs at least 100 cc of Critical Care at his weight, and since he's losing, more would be better.

platypus

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Gilbert has a *huge lump* on his neck! It starts right under his lower front teeth and goes down most of his chest, it's bigger than a golf ball. I managed to get hold of a 4th vet (the one we have app't with on Monday is off on weekends). Dr. T said it's a root abscess, to put warm compresses on it. Did not want to start antibiotics at this time. I canceled Monday's app't and we see Dr. T on Monday instead. I'm beside myself with the stress of caring for Gilbert since March, and my dog is sick also. I'm so worried, Gilbert lost another 8 gms today

Is there any danger of this lump causing breathing issues, pressing on his windpipe?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:37 pm

It could also be lymphadenitis. There's some info here: https://www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html.

If it is a root abscess, it could certainly explain why he's been reluctant to chew hay.

Be aware, if it ruptures, that it will be highly infective, so take precautions for yourself and any other pets.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:10 pm

I am sorry to hear about the big lump. With this new information (your vet will figure out what it is), hopefully you will have a better idea of what treatments will help. It is also possible the lump is cervical lymphadenitis (see the links bpatters put up).

I understand how stressful this must be fore you. I am sorry to hear your dog is sick also.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:00 am

I hope your vet gets to the bottom of this and has A treatment plan. Good luck to you and Gilbert on Monday!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:25 am

platypus wrote me and said she sent her old vet a video and he believes it is a tooth root abscess. He cannot do the surgery but another vet will do so today.