Bite Wound, Hole in Face

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am

If it does, and if you have these supplies on-hand, you can use a piece of sterile gauze and saline to gently clean/flush the area.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:56 pm

I just got home and messed with it a bit. While it will easily push inwards a cm or two, it didn’t come out with gentle pulling. She only lets me mess with it for a short while, you can tell that bothering it too much hurts. It’s weak at the base of the tooth, but it apparently isn’t ready to come out easily right now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:16 pm

Sometimes broken teeth have to regrow more than once to regrow right. I hope it corrects itself.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:26 am

Update: the tooth was extremely loose tonight and came right out. After it was out, the tooth clearly has a crack from the base up to the tip, but I wasn’t able to get a good picture. I did send you a picture of the aftermath, though, Lynx. It broke off right at the gum line, but she just ate an Oxbow Vit C tablet easier than she did before it broke off, and they’re pretty hard! Please excuse the bloody thumb, she bled quite a bit, and I did flush it with saline, but I was afraid if I stopped to wash my hands, she wouldn’t let me mess with her again when I came back, because she was getting pretty cranky. She was sitting still for the picture so I figured I better take the opportunity while she was still offering it lol.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:09 am

It sounds like you managed it pretty well (flushing with saline). Glad she can still eat okay! The molars will grind the pellets she eats. Weigh daily to make sure there are no issues with eating. Hopefully it will not be painful.

Here you go:

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Latest update:

Maggie was finally able to be seen by the vet last weekend. The vet said there seemed to be no infection and the tooth was growing back well. However, the vet wants to put Maggie under sedation May 9th to do x-rays and make sure the molars are doing ok. She’s never had any molar problems in the past, and the vet didn’t see any signs of issues yet, but she wants to make sure there’s no issues that have started and catch anything before it becomes severe. It seems a bit extreme to me to put her under sedation, knowing the risks, just as a precautionary measure. Have any of you heard of vets doing something similar?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon May 04, 2020 1:39 am

What is the vet looking for? Root growth issues, cracked teeth, areas that might indicate infection? And what would be treatment options if they find problems? Those would be some of the questions I would ask.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 am

Also keep in mind that the sedation needed for something like this is generally just a whiff, vs. the heavy anesthesia needed for surgery. You can certainly verify this with your vet as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 04, 2020 6:54 am

Ditto both comments! A closer look at what is going on with the incisors could certainly be worth while. It might provide more information on why it happened in the first place. Sometimes with an incisor loss, the first regrowth breaks again so getting a solid tooth in place can be a process. You could also take a more conservative approach and choose instead to monitor (weight loss is the big one, and any signs of malocclusion).
https://www.guinealynx.info/maloclussion.html

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 am

The vet said she just wanted to look and make sure there is no overgrowth that could later lead to malocclusion. She said she’s seen so much of that lately, and with Maggie’s incisor issues, she wants to make sure it’s not affecting the molars as well and we’re just not able to see it. I will call the vet tomorrow and confirm that they’re doing the safer light sedation...we’re still not allowed to go into the vets office with our pets, so there’s just been a lot of confusing phone conversations lol.