Poppy the Piggy- Heart Condition, Benazepril Dosage, Critical Care Supplement

skuchi

Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:37 am

Thanks. We will bump it up. She's still eating and drinking pretty well, sleeping a lot.
She's got a crusty eye this morning, and it looks a little swollen. :( Poor girl just can't catch a break!

skuchi

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:19 pm

A Poppy update. Since last night she is moving less, seems to be less steady on her feet, and is starting to refuse her feedings and fresh veggies. She's been more reluctant to eat the past few days but this morning she just doesn't want anything to do with any of it. She is nibbling loose hay strands, but it doesn't seem to be eating as much as aggravated chewing, and she only does it when we disturb her. Otherwise, she just wants to lay under the water bottle and sleep. She bit me when I pet her with my finger this morning, I think I startled her.

Is there anything we can do to make her more comfortable?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm

I'm so sorry. Is she getting any fluids? Does she look dehydrated? I'd call the vet and describe what's going on and see what they suggest at this point. If this is an end-of-life situation, obvious the focus will shift to just keeping her comfortable (possibly by bumping up the Tramadol) rather than avoiding lethargy.

skuchi

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:28 pm

She also has developed loose stools. :( Poor thing. We are calling the vet but no answer yet.
We are giving her fluids hourly.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Darn. :( I was hoping she might perk up a little if you upped her Metacam slightly. Did you end up going with flavored Pedialyte? If so, I wonder if that could be causing some digestive upset.

skuchi

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:55 pm

I could never find the unflavored Pedialyte so she isn't getting any, just water and Vit C (not vit C every hour though, only 2x/day). We have some flavored Pedialyte on hand but that's it.

skuchi

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Her diet hasn't changed other than she got more cucumber than usual yesterday. Other than that, nothing new. Wondering if maybe the diarrhea is from the Metacam.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:46 pm

How much vitamin C? It can cause loose stools in higher amounts.

skuchi

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:51 pm

She's getting approximately 8 drops of a solution, about 25mg per the 8 drops. Plus a vit C treat, 25mg/treat but they are quite old so I don't think they still have that content. And then her regular vit C veggies (peppers, tomatoes, or parsley)

skuchi

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:17 pm

The vet got back to us! She said electrolytes, Pedialyte. And loperamide, .35ml (1mg/7.5ml) every 8 hours until the diarrhea stops. And to stop the tramadol temporarily as it may cause digestive issues and interfere with the loperamide.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:39 pm

Very good. Carpenter's Formulary does caution to avoid over-use of Loperamide to avoid stasis, so I would just be a little careful with it. That dose looks correct, based on the recommended dose of 0.1mg/kg with her weight at .5kg and a concentration of 0.13mg/ml (I come up with .38ml, but close enough at .35ml). I hope it helps.

Hydration with electrolytes may help her feel better, too.

Keeping fingers crossed for her.

ETA: Had you already discontinued the Tramadol, or was she still on a low daily dose?

skuchi

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:59 pm

She was still on a daily dose of Tramadol at the time. She did not get one today.

I'm not incredibly familiar with guinea pigs but I've been around a plethora of other animals my whole life. She looks tired and weak, I can tell she's struggling. I hope whatever the outcome she is just as comfortable as possible through it.

She's not willingly eating her CC anymore, we are having to force feed her everything. Even stuff she loves she's just half-heartedly nibbling a little or not at all. It always breaks my heart to see them so worn down.

Should we be feeding her through the night? We're having a hard time getting 2-3ml of cc mixed with applesauce or pumpkin down her at a time, let alone 6grams/100 a day. The water is more like 1-2ml at a time too, if we are lucky, forceful and patient. She's not even fighting back anymore. :(