Guinea pigs and COVID-19

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:32 pm

I am so sorry you were all so ill and that you lost Hugo, PinkRufus! This had to have been a very difficult time for your family. I wonder how many people that person infected.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:36 pm

Thank you Sef and Lynx. All of the human members of our family have recovered.

Hugo did show signs of URI, but only briefly, he crashed quickly.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:08 pm

I'm glad you and your family have come through it ok. It must have been a terrible experience. Poor Hugo. There was just nothing you could do about that situation.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:09 pm

What a scary experience for your family, PinkRufus. I’m glad your human family recovered but I’m so sorry you lost Hugo.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:07 am

I didn't see any threads on the question I need an answer to and I don't see the need to start one as it's a simple question and would be a very short thread. It's kinda related to COVID-19, so here goes.

The humane society took in a really sweet, 1 year old Abby. Due to coronavirus, they're short staffed and looking for foster care for their animals. I want to provide foster care, but it's a female and I have 4 boars. If I were to foster her, I can only keep her in the same room as the boys because of the dog. What kind of problems would that cause? Obviously she would be in her own cage across the room, but the boys will still be able to sense her. Is it torture for them knowing she is there and they can't get to her? Will my paired boys; Sammy and Dean start fighting over her even though she's across the room in their own cage?

What about her? Is knowing that there are 4 boars nearby be stressful or problematic for her? I really want to help, but not if it does more harm than good. I'd really like to get some input from you guys.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:42 am

I don't think you'll know what happens until you try it, and I think the result depends on the boars.

I always had sows, and I once pig-sat for an intact boar for several months while his owner was out of the country. All the pigs were in the same room, and seemed completely oblivious to the others' presence. But I've read of situations where the boars were stressed by the presence of the female.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 am

Think of all the rescues that house sexes in different cages. I think the odds are good she and your boars will be fine.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:37 am

I was thinking that, too. Our local rescue regularly has both sexes in the same room, although she does keep the cages a good distance apart.

You could always try it but let the HS know that, if it seems to cause difficulty with your boars, you may need to return her.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:28 pm

Three of the forum members I hoped would answer as I've grown to value their knowledge and opinion. Thank you! I'll call and see if they want me to foster that cute little Abby girl. Don't worry, she'll be safe and sound and won't be having babies!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:18 pm

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:48 am

So I called the humane society and they don't need a foster home for the Abby girl just yet as she's the only guinea pig there. I explained the circumstances and they're okay with me as a foster home if the need arises.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:25 am

Very good! At least they know they have someone they can count on.