black dandruff, mites, and crusty eyes

Marypiggies3+

Post   » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:59 pm

I have a five year old male guinea pig named Spar. I got him when he was two and he has had some medical issues ever since. Currently he has black dandruff, not white as mentioned on some of the forums about mites, he is itchy all over his body, no hair loss, and has continuous crusty eyes. I have treated him for mites using ivermectin twice a month, without any signs of it getting better. He saw his vet yesterday. she wants to treat him with Feline revolution one dose was given yesterday, the second one in three weeks with a two week recheck.
She really thinks the itching and eye crustiness could be caused by his teeth and wants to do x-rays.
Can anyone explain his black dandruff and can his itchy skin be caused by teeth issues?
Thanks
mary

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:58 pm

I cannot speak to the eye crustiness (maybe conjuctivitis too?) but I would consider it possible there are concurrent mite infestations and a fungal infection.

I would also give him a NIzoral shampoo besides continuing to treat for mites. The Revolution may help.
https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Another thing besides mites that immediately comes to mind is renal failure. Our kidney failure pigs invariably became dehydrated, which presents as dry skin with dandruff, along with dry, sunken, crusty eyes. And slow, gradual weight loss with more pronounced hip bones over time. What is his water intake, and have you noticed a decrease in the amount that he drinks? What about his weight?

Marypiggies3+

Post   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:43 pm

He is drinking his normal amount of water. Current weight is 1025g. That is up from last vet visit.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:24 pm

You mentioned that you treated him for mites twice a month. Over what period of time? For Ivermectin to be effective, it should be dosed a minimum of three times, no more than 7 days apart. More stubborn cases may require an additional dose or even another a full round. How much was he given each time?