Bereaved sow during Coronavirus

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:31 pm

I hope something works out for you.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 am

Yes. I hope it does as well. To clarify what I said before about pet store pigs; shelter pets should always be the first choice. I learned that from the great people on this forum. 3 out of my 4 guinea pigs are rescue piggies. My one remaining pet store bought pig is Mr Bubbles and I am extremely grateful to have had him the past 3 years. He's a great little guy and I'm thankful for his good health and happiness. We would never have become part of each other's lives if my wife and granddaughter hadn't walked into that Petco store and picked him out. So while I'd always look for shelter pigs before pet store ones, I wouldn't dismiss getting another one from a pet store if none were available at the shelter.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:44 am

Unfortunately, buying guinea pigs from pet stores just perpetuates the cycle by encouraging the pet store to restock its "inventory."

I don't know your exact location, Diamon14, but you might keep an eye on Petfinder once things settle down:
https://www.petfinder.com/search/small- ... land-city/

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:01 pm

I understand. The victims in that cycle are the poor little piggies. I just wish there was something that could be done to clean it up so that we could get guinea pigs from the pet stores without supporting the folks who treat them so cruel.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:30 am

I am so sorry for your lost of Nibbles. RIP little lady, run free in perfect health and forever young. Eat the sweet grass and watch over your slave and friend Charlotte. Reunited with your friends. Sending hugs to you,siblings and Charlotte.

Diamon14

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:57 pm

Update: I had contacted a few people on craigslist and various adoption sites and only heard back from one person, but we were looking for an older piggie and all she had were under a year old. As of now, Charlotte is acting pretty much the same as she was before Nibbles passed, which is amazing, but I know she would probably love it even more with a friend. I still need to call the shelter and set up an appointment, but I have been avoiding going out because of how many cases there are in NY.
Renonvsparky, I totally understand where you are coming from. Shelter pigs and rescues always come first, but the ones in the pet stores need adopting too! Even though it is supporting the people that put 5 of them in 1 15 gallon tank and get them from breeders, encouraging them to provide more :/
Sef, yes I feel horrible for the piggies that end up in a pet store. Most people that end up buying them do not give them the proper care :( I have been keeping an eye on every site that I've found in my hours of searching, but I also have my heart set on the one shelter on the island I found that has a couple of older pigs.
daisymay, thank you so much to you for the kind words and condolences. She is up there with her best friend Coco who she lived with her first couple of years, and her new friend Callie who was Coco's best friend before her! They are eating tomatoes and peppers up there.