Benson...sudden aggression

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:16 pm

So I am pretty sure I already know the reasoning behind this but I wanted to get some thoughts. Over the past 5 days vents and has become an over dominant and very aggressive. Hes always been more dominant but it's getting worse. Benson is almost 2 ..he lives with Spencer who is 3 and Elliot 7 months. It seems Elliott has started puberty they're challenging each other with face offs teeth chattering and chasing each other with a few nips here or there but no bloodshed. The 3 of them live in 2x6 with a 2x2 loft. If you are unfamiliar with my boys I got Elliot from a rescue when Spencer was given weeks to live in September. I want it to be prepared for Elliot to have somebody if Spencer passed away. They did boar dating at the rescue. They have been best friends the past 6 months.

Since they have been having disagreements I had Elliot and Benson in a playpen for 5 hours to try and work things out and kind of rebond. They had the normal dominance behaviors and then settled down for a few hours so I put them back in the cage with Spencer. Everything was fine for a few hours and then Benson flipped Elliot over bit him and then bit Spencer. I think Spencer my have been an innocent bystander. I have Benson separated currently in the loft until I can figure out what to do. I can expand the loft to a 2x3 and rotate Elliott and Benny out of there and with Spencer since he is bonded to both. I could also split the cage down the middle to two 2x3s, but I don't think that is big enough for 2 males. My mom suggested I take Benson to the vet to make sure nothing medical is going on. Should I?

Is all hope lost? Is there any way I can save this bond? There was no bloodshed, but it is breaking my heart to see them act this way. I know Elliot is now in the peak of puberty but I'm hoping we can get past thiis.

Forgot to add...my mom said no more piggies so there goes that idea. I moved home to help take care of her and it's her house...so I respect what she asks.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:31 pm

You're trying to make three boars get along, and that almost NEVER works. We never recommend it. And rotating them in and out may well wind up with you having three boards, none of which will live with either of the others.

I'd recommend separating them into one pair and a singleton, and if you don't want one to live by himself, you could rehome him.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:37 pm

Or just let him live as a next-door neighbor to the pair so that he can still see them and interact. I've done that many times.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:39 pm

I could never re home any of them. They are my babies. And I can't do side by side as the cage is on my dresser. If I split the cage in half..it would be 2 2x3s..which is not big enough for two males.

Spencer is a Buddha pig. He gets along with everyone.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:11 am

Well, you'll have to figure out something, and I'm betting it's not going to be having three males in the same cage.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:24 am

Thanks for your input 👍🏼

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:48 am

Can you go up with your cage? What does your cage look like? Can you break it up visually a ton so they can't see each other well unless in a particular quadrant? With fringed fleece dividers? How about a second story, smaller, for a singleton? With an ability to see the others from one end?

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Lynx...they are currently in a 2x6 with 2x2 loft. I ordered supplies to change the loft to a 2x3. Their cage does have a bunch of fleece Forrests too.

Since I am working from home. I currently have them on the floor with a divider. Benson will go to the divider today calmly but Elliot will rumblestrut then popcorn...instigating.

I spoke to their vet, who said give them a bit to cool off and to keep an eye on Benson to make sure nothing medical is going on. She said if he's still being aggressive, she see him on Wednesday to check him over.

I hate puberty lol. Elliot keeps looking over at them like he wants to be with them. Breaks my heart.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:14 am

I've never had a threesome of males work, no matter how big the cage was. After trying and failing several times, I finally gave up and have always just stuck with bachelors and pairs. Do you have room on the floor for two 2 x 4 cages? Or even two 2 x 3's connected by a divider?

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:52 am

I can split the 2x6 into a divided 2x3s...but would that be big enough for two males? I hate to take away room from them. I have no room on the floor for cages...I would have nowhere to walk in the room. Lol. Plus I have a Jack Russell so I prefer to have the cage off of the ground.

I only have them on my floor in the playpen now because I am working from home, but as of tomorrow...we go back into the office for work.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:06 pm

How about an upper 2X3 and the same lower one that is 2X6, if I remember right.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:21 pm

In a change of events...my friend showed me a 5 year old at a rescue. He is big and submissive like Spencer. I put an in application to see if Elliot can meet him. Elliot and Spencer get along..so i will see if it is a good match. Fingers crossed!