Food

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Well, more specifically, when she would try to clean herself back then she would not be able to reach because of her belly so I knew she came up in weight to a point she struggled to clean herself. She was much heavier than my late male piggy as well.

So I kind of want her to be somewere were I see her to be much comfortable.

I feel that the weight she is in now looks good on her. This has been a 4-5 month difference of were she used to be.

I would like to give her the pellets like usual but now what stops me is the peeing in calcium from time to time.

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:48 pm

Update:

So I decided to use the hay bin fleece to try and see about how much calcium she accumulates between 1-2 weeks. I picked up only dirty top layers of hay to keep it as neat as possible but leave the ones at the bottom so when she needs to use the bathroom, it will all be at the bottom.

Good thing is she loves to pick a corner after cage cleanup and always goes back to that same spot. Luckily she picked a corner in the hay bin fleece.

Decided to do this to give an idea. Me being the pig dad that I am, ofcourse I don't like seeing that lmao so wanted to do this to receive opinions.

In the image it is mostly, if not all, on the piece of hay/poop stuck together. There isint any at the bottom. They just latched on that piece as she picked that same spot every time.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 pm

Have any of you tried growing your own guinea pig veggies and if so how did it turn out? The reason why I ask is because I'm trying it out. I don't have any delusions of being able to grow enough to feed all 4 of my boys, but I think I can get enough for treats and some of their needs. I've potted all colors of bell pepper as well as green leaf and butterhead lettuce as well as cucumber. The green leaf has sprouted pretty well already and I'll be growing them in pots. Cucumber is up too. Still waiting for the rest to sprout.

The weather has been off and on, but the sprouts are able to go outside off and on. In the next 2-3 weeks, they will be able to go outside for good. The reason I'm using pots is because the cats that roam our neighborhood have turned my garden space into a giant litter box. As much as I've clean it out, I wouldn't trust anything grown in it to be edible unless I remove the soil and replace it. Of course that would be the same as changing the litter for them. It's costly and a lot of work for nothing. I have a ton of the giant sunflowers to put in there and they grow very well around here.

I'm interested to see how others who have tried this have fared with it.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:49 pm

I had a very successful crop of leaf lettuce last year. Our yard has a little too much shade for vegetables and herbs, except a small area on the south side and that tends to bake in the summer sun.

I used a large window box and planted two rows of leaf lettuce. One was a row of mixed varieties and one was black seeded simpson. It grew fast and I had lettuce well into the fall. It was enough for a handful of baby leaves each day.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:51 am

The butterhead lettuce hasn't sprouted yet but the greenleaf went crazy so I've already put it in those long window boxes. There's 3 in each box. Only one green bell pepper has sprouted so far. I'm going to build a giant planter for the cucumbers and put it out front where I can control the cats getting into it. I'm going to the dollar store to get the pots I need for the bell peppers. I'm even more hopeful after hearing about your success. Thank you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 pm

I would make sure you put the peppers out when it is warm enough. They don't take off until the temperatures warm. I have never had luck with them but I think the newer varieties grow better.

Good luck growing the food!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:31 am

Lynx is right. I’ve had luck with bell peppers in the past, but they shut down if temps drop below 55. It usually happens just when they’re blossoming and then they drop the blossoms. The soil temp has to be above 65 degrees when you plant them outside. And epsom salt is a good fertilizer to increase production and improve flavor.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Good advice. I'll be sure to do that. The soil and temperature around here is usually right for veggies to go outside around the middle of April. Indoor sprouting is best done in March. I should be just about on track with where I'm at now with the sprouts.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:17 am

So is calcium deposits in urine normal for pigs?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:51 am

Guinea pigs normally pass calcium compounds in their urine. What you will normally see is intermittent cloudy urine and sometimes deposits that are not large but are fine and powdery when dry (noticeable if you are using fleece). Sometimes the deposits are excessive or gritty in which case adjusting diet seems to be the only way to manage them. Guinea pigs with excess calcium deposits can be more prone to stones and can suffer from interstitial cystitis. Read more:
Stones
What's Normal
Interstitial Cystitis Links

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:26 pm

Is she still on KMS Hayloft pellets?

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:53 pm

Yes she is on kms pellets. I give her every other day. 1/2 a teaspoon. The picture I posted a few post back was about a 1-2 week accumulation in her hay tray were she mostly pees on.

Sometimes I see small patches of white since i have fleece outside of the tray but not normally. It mostly is in the bottom of the tray. Maybe 1 to 2 patches per week or so. A rough estimate.