COVID-19

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Great article, mmeadow. I reposted it on another forum.

Yeah, let them go first. Big and bold. trump has been ignoring social distancing in public appearances and endangering the people who are with him.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:12 pm

Yes, that article is being seen widely and haled for its clarity. There is a companion piece that came out first by the same author:

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 pm

Apparently Mr. Trump didn't get the memo:
Trump told Fox News anchor Bill Hemmer he selected Easter as the day he wants businesses to reopen, saying he’d like to see “packed churches all over our country” — the exact type of large gatherings that the CDC, the WHO, and Trump’s top health advisers have all urged suspended to help stop the spread of the virus.

“I would love to have it opened by Easter,” Trump said, speaking about when he sees the country returning to normal life.

“That would be a great American resurrection,” Hemmer replied.
The Fox News moment that revealed a dangerously confused president

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 am

Incredible. I see that as a play to his evangelical base, at least in part. Everything with him is a political move. And people are going to die because of it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:32 pm

Not sure who's reading what covid thread, so I'll post this on both: https://azallgift.com/hgvry78?s=hanes-5250&c=White&p=FRONT

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm

Cute shirt. Not sure I want a memento, on the other hand this thing's going to go on for quite a while.

A preschool teacher (63) near here got infected (tested) last week. She infected her husband, both sons and a daughter-in-law. Woman and her husband both in ICU. Husband is doing better, wife has a tube down her throat & is unconscious. Husband said they'd start to get better then get a lot worse, then better, etc.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:11 pm

Yikes, that's awful Bookfan. Had she travelled or been around someone else who was clearly infected?

Yeah, not sure I'll want a reminder of this. Although...it would be great if the seller offered to give a percentage of the proceeds towards some sort of COVID-19 disaster relief fund.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:20 pm

That would be a good idea!

Two teachers and a parent at the preschool tested positive at the same time. I don't think there was travel involved but I wouldn't be surprised if a child w/o symptoms is involved. But I haven't heard about any person who was contagious. We have community transmission in our county. 90 cases last I checked out of a population of 1 mil. The count tripled in 3 days. I'm much more uncomfortable with the idea of going to the grocery store than I was last week.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:17 pm

"I'm much more uncomfortable with the idea of going to the grocery store than I was last week."

I would imagine so. :(

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 pm

I'm leaning toward using delivery when I get to that point. It has its risks too but seems like less exposure, even if you're very careful in the grocery store. I'll wipe everything down before I put it away. They'll have to be relatively small orders for that.

Speaking of grocery orders, my great grandfather had a corner grocery store starting in the early 1900's. Customers would call & an employee would take their order. Then one of the stock boys would collect it and someone would deliver it by horse & wagon. No extra charge - that's just how it was done.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:23 pm

Yep. My grandmother used to order from the corner grocery...a little mom & pop place that took your order over the phone and delivered at no extra charge. They had the most beautiful, ripe tomatoes I have ever seen. Huge, bright red tomatoes and the taste was utterly amazing. Nothing since has ever come close, and that was some 50 years ago. She'd slice one up and serve with beef roast on a Sunday. Funny the things you remember.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:34 am

How far we have come! Delivering by horse and wagon is pretty cool, Bookfan.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:02 pm

I posted this on the other coronavirus thread:
How Will the Coronavirus End?

Give yourself a good 20 minutes to read it. It's depressing and much of it we have heard and seen elsewhere, but it's one of the best commentaries I've seen so far that pulls it all together for a "big picture" look at how this crisis may - or may not - end.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 pm

The other article mentions suppression giving us more time to find solutions. I will go read this, hope there is some hope at the end of the tunnel.

Found a video from a nurse dealing with this now (I think in Michigan), getting very very bad, realizing they will have to turn away people, send them home to die.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm

This article is very thorough and definitely worth a read if someone in your home contracts COVID19.

Coronavirus - What steps to take if someone in the house is infected?https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/26/1931458/-Coronavi ... -is-infected

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:53 pm

That article is pretty rough. My boss, who (for reasons I can't for the life of me understand) is still a big Trump supporter, actually read and it said, "It made me want to puke." He had not heard some of these things before. There are going to be people on the other thread who won't want to read it, but I really think everybody needs to understand the desperation and severity of what's happening here and all over the world, and the responsibility that we all have to try to flatten the curve.

The video of that ER nurse was absolutely heartbreaking. I can't even imagine having to make those decisions...to be a doctor or nurse and having to look patients in the eye and say, "We're sorry; we aren't able to help you." Not to mention the stress and worry of not knowing if you are going to be exposed to the virus and become sick (or even die) yourself.

Sometimes it's all just really too much to comprehend.

ETA: Good tips in that other article.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 pm

The video of the nurse is horrifying. Articles are good, bookmarking how-to's.

Alot of detail - sorry:
I had a doctor's appt. I needed to keep this morning. They asked screening questions by phone yesterday and today when I walked in. They had wiped down the waiting room, no other patients in sight - they canceled most of the appts., personnel kept 6 ft. distance if they were able. I opened doors, pressed elevator buttons, etc. with a kleenex. I don't need any procedures which is a relief. Hand sanitizer available everywhere. Good.

I took the elevator to the 1st floor & when it opened there was UPS guy standing right there holding boxes. We both sort of jumped. We might have said a quick hi, can't remember. When I get home & asked husband about it he said just talking can spray aerosol into the air. Now I'm totally freaked , did I say hi? UPS guy showed no obvious signs of sickness.

Am I overreacting? I'm going to show daughters where will & health power of attorney. This whole thing is a nightmare that's going to go on and on.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:24 pm

I am so mad at trump which is all the time. But this time I'm just incensed that at his stupid pressers he doesn't practice social distancing. And there's 79!-year-old Anthony Fauci standing there getting exposed if someone has it.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:56 pm

The CDC says, "People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest)." I'd honestly think that if 1) the driver didn't appear to be ill; and 2) this was just a quick 'hi' in passing with minimal respiratory droplets in the air (as opposed to a forceful cough or sneeze), you should be fine. I have also read that UPS and FedEx are both stepping up preventive measures for their workers.

It's scary, though. Walking through the store the other day, I found myself feeling very panicky about anybody getting too close.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you Sef! That's all very reasonable & reassuring. I'm always anxious and it just bubbled over. But still conscious of social distancing.

Our main grocery store chains have put up plexiglass dividers around the checkout people. I think that's great. Can you imagine how many people go through there every day?

https://www.kmov.com/news/schnucks-dierbergs-install-plexigl ... 3d8ce30.html

359 posts