Olive's gas problem

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:04 am

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:23 am

Thank you so much. I'm also finding it difficult to massage her as she's in a lot of pain because of her swelling. She keeps squeaking as soon as I start massaging her. Is it advisable to wait out the massaging for some time?

Also, she's already getting an increased dose of metoclopramide along with a standard dose of simethicone and meloxicam. Is it safe to administer fenbendazole along with these drugs? If so, how much should be the gap? If not, which ones should I forego at the moment?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:46 am

I would probably forego massage for now if it's too painful for her. If you have a vibrating pillow or vibrating toothbrush, those can be a good alternative.

According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook (6th edition), there are no known drug interactions with Fenbendazole. I would say that you can use it concurrently with Metacam and Simethicone.

Do keep in mind that none of us here is a veterinarian, and very few of us (if any) have actually dealt with internal/intestinal parasites. It's just not that common in the US. My best advice would be for you to continue to research this online and see if there are any resources or veterinarians elsewhere who might be willing to consult with you over the phone.

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:50 am

I thoroughly understand that your advice comes from your experience and not from medical expertise. I have also simultaneously been backing up everything that is advised here with my own research. Thank you so much for all the help. Will keep updating. To be on the safe side I'll keep some time-gap between the doses.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Sounds good. Do keep us posted. Wishing you both well.

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Just confirming once; The dosage mentioned for fenbendazole on Guinea Lynx is 50mg/ kg (Link: https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html). Is this dosage applicable for giardia and not roundworms?

Also, according to ESCCAP's (European Scientific Counsel Companion Animal Parasites) Control of Parasites and Fungal Infections In Small Pet Animals Guidelines (1st edition), "Fenbendazole (20–50 mg/kg bodyweight orally) may also be used and is generally administered in a week on/week off rotation for at least 3 cycles". So does the dosage vary from 20-50 mg depending on the severity?

Again, I understand that none of you are vets. But, in the absence of one (they're asking for a check-up once the clinic is open), I have to rely on you guys and the internet.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:35 pm

According to James Carpenter's Exotic Animal Formulary (5th edition), the dosage is 20mg/kg for guinea pigs, given orally for 5 days. It doesn't say anything about week on/week off. An additional notation lists a dosage range of 20-50 mg/kg for "all species" (of rodent), but with the caveat: "For giardiasis; a lower dose is generally preferred; higher dose for giardiasis only."

I would say try it for 5 days at 20 mg/kg and then see if there is any improvement.

Olive

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:30 am

Thank you. Today is the 2nd day of the fenbendazole. Let's hope for the best.

Olive

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:35 am

*You said, "For giardiasis; a lower dose is generally preferred; higher dose for giardiasis only.". Did you mean, "For *round/hookworms (or something along those lines); a lower dose is generally preferred; higher dose for giardiasis only."

Olive

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:13 am

Update: Her urine report just came back. The report was normal (Link: So, looks like we are dealing with just the gas and intestinal parasites.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:37 am

It's good to at least rule out a UTI.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 am

Did you mean, "For *round/hookworms...
No, I was just making the point that the higher dosages seemed to be suggested only for giardiasis and not hookworms.