Olive's gas problem

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:50 pm

I believe Panacur is usually the recommended drug to treat parasites in guinea pigs. I have not dealt with that situation before, but you might do a search on the Medical board as I know there are a number of cases that talk about this.

On the Metoclopramide, I would at least try the increased dose for a couple of days to see if it makes any difference in poop production. I feel like that will be a bigger help than the simethicone, but maybe someone else here will weigh-in soon. The issue with gas is that, as motility slows down and transit time of food through the gut increases, it creates increased fermentation in the gut and more gas. I do not have a recommendation on something to try instead of simethicone. Some people swear by it; I haven't had any luck with it.

You can make a pellet mash as described here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

I would keep pushing that, plus water via syringe (careful to avoid aspiration), pain meds and Metoclopramide. As I already suggested, you can also try massage and warmth to help with the bloating and gas. I do tend to think that the crying you were hearing might have been her trying to push dry/unformed feces out. My bloat-prone male vocalizes sometimes during pooping when he's having GI issues. You'll know more, though, when you receive the urinalysis as to whether or not she also has a UTI.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Toxocara are worms, ova are eggs, so she does have intestinal parasites. I would think that ivermectin would kill them, but I don't know what the dosage should be. Maybe someone with a Carpenter's could look it up. I wouldn't think the urine test results would have any bearing.

You can try the metoclopramide at either six or eight hour intervals -- it shouldn't make a difference.

If she's not drinking, definitely syringe water. The more dehydrated she is, the drier the stool becomes, and is harder to pass.

I think massage or vibration would be more effective than simethicone.

Olive

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:59 pm

Thank you. Starting tomorrow, I'll increase the dosage of metoclopramide. Massaged her for a bit today and she started making a sound which was uncomfortable. She's clearly in pain. I'll continue with the massaging too.

I read on one of the medical threads here on guinea lynx that 0.2mg/ kg is the correct dosage of ivermectin, 1 time a week for 2-4 weeks, depending on the severity?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 pm

I read on one of the medical threads here on guinea lynx that 0.2mg/ kg is the correct dosage of ivermectin, 1 time a week for 2-4 weeks, depending on the severity?
That dosage is for mites -- not parasites. I'll have to try to do some digging into appropriate dose for internal parasites, but what little I've been able to read today seems to indicate that Ivermectin may not be the best choice for that particular type of bug which appears to be a roundworm. If it's indeed that, the parasite is zoonotic -- meaning that humans can be infected by it. Do take precautionary measures in handling her and her feces.

Do you have dogs or cats around the house?

Olive

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:04 pm

I do not have any other pets in the house. Will just continue with the increased metoclopramide dosage for now then, till we have something concrete for internal parasites.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 pm

I would still have a conversation with your veterinarian about the stool sample results. If this is indeed hookworm, hookworm is not a parasite specific to guinea pigs -- it's fairly common in dogs and cats. You can at least ask for verification; hookworms are easy to detect and have a very distinctive appearance. The vet can give you an idea of how heavily infested the sample was, and can talk with you about treatment. There are a lot of different cavy-safe oral anti-parasitics such as Ivermectin, Albon, Metronidazole, etc. From what I've been reading, though, Panacur (Fenbendazole) does seem to be the most common drug to use for hookworm in most animals. In guinea pigs, the dosage appears to be 20mg/kg every 24 hours for 5 days. You can also try doing a search on these forums for Panacur.

I tend to associate internal parasites with diarrhea, but I haven't been able to find any information on how hookworm presents in guinea pigs. In humans, the symptoms are listed as abdominal pain, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, fatigue and anemia.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

Olive

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:16 pm

The urine sample should also have traces of the parasite, isn't it? The urine report will be a more detailed one which will give information about the bacteria and/ or parasite found along with the appropriate antibiotic for it. If the problem in hand is not REALLY URGENT, I think I should wait till I have the urine report before I talk to a vet?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:45 pm

No. Parasites are not usually found in urine, but in the digestive tract. That report was from a stool sample.

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:10 am

I did a bit of digging in my own and it seems that a 20mg dose of fenbendazole for 5 days should do the trick, followed by a similar process after 14 days to prevent regrowth. Most of the clinics here are shut in fear of the fast spreading COVID-19. I'll try reaching out to vets on LinkedIn and see if I can get any help. If not, I'm afraid I'll have to take it in my own hands.

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:49 am

I just noticed that the left side of her body just before where her leg begins in swollen. It is also visible on the x-ray (most clearly visible on the 3rd picture that Lynx uploaded. Is this a reaction caused by possible bacteria/ parasite? I also noticed that she has lost a lot of fur around that area.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:33 am

It could very well be her body's autoimmune response to the parasites. Also, internal parasites deplete nutrients from the body, which is why anemia is common. You might try increasing her vitamin C intake, as swollen joints and hair loss could be indicative of vitamin C deficiency.

Olive

Post   » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:10 am

Is there a link available on the forum for Vitamin C? Also, if I use supplements, what is the appropriate dose?

Update: The country is in a lockdown drill tomorrow to prepare for the virus. It might well stretch till Monday. So, I'm starting the treatment using a 20mg per day dose of fenbendazole. There's also a visible fall in her appetite now. I do not think I should wait till Tuesday.