Guinea pigs and COVID-19

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:42 am

The antibacterials just don't have enough power to do anything. One study found that it took nine hours of exposure to an antibacterial soap with triclosan to equal the cleaning power of a good 20-second handwashing. People should skip the antibacterial stuff and just wash their hands thorougly with regular soap and water, and rinse very well.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:55 am

Now that you mention it, I remember watching on Mythbusters where they compared regular soap with antibacterial soap. Regular soap is better, but it doesn't work by itself. The running water works with it and together, they are the best way to get your hands clean. We've made it through every epidemic and managed to get through the last 9 years since the liver transplant without any infections by following Stanford's instructions about washing our hands. I believe it's safe to say that it works.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:59 am

That’s good to know about antibacterial soaps. I have avoided them myself because of bacterial resistance. At one point it was hard to find hand soap that wasn’t antibacterial.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:06 am

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:16 am

"I have avoided them myself because of bacterial resistance."
Same here.

When my husband was in the hospital for months following a very difficult spinal surgery and he developed C-Diff, everybody coming into or leaving his room had to be very meticulous about handwashing. I don't know what was in the soap dispensers, but it smelled pretty strong. After weeks and months of washing multiple times a day, my hands were a raw mess. It did instill in me the importance of thorough handwashing, though, and I've tried to be very careful about it ever since.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am

I got an email this morning for KMS Hayloft that they are currently out of pellets but will accept back-orders. I plan to start cutting KMS with Oxbow pellets.

As of now, Chewy.com is running roughly 8 days behind on shipping.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:55 pm

My co-worker with COPD was always bringing anti-bacterial hand soap for our kitchen area at work. Her doctor told her to use it. She had trouble breathing on a good day, I can’t imagine how she’s coping now.

C-Diff is scary. My mom had that after antibiotic treatment for a serious cat bite. She had to have daily antibiotic treatment as an out patient because her mean cat bit her in the back of her leg. The antibiotics knocked out the good gut bacteria and she ended up with C-Diff. Then the state health department contacted her to get the details for the infectious diseases database. What a nightmare.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:02 pm

We all had a different feeling flu back in early December time frame. It just felt different. It lingered on longer than the regular flu we have had in the past. It could have been the coronavirus now that I think back on it. The symptoms we had were the same as what they list for it. It spread pretty quickly as 3 of us all came down with it on the same day. We executed our normal flu protocol quickly to stop it from spreading and isolated those of us who came down with it at our house while the healthy members of the family stayed at my son in law's place. It worked out well, especially for our immunosuppressed granddaughter.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:22 am

Handwashing video is a good one. If you get tired of "Happy Birthday", there's always the Menards song, "Save big money, you'll save big money, when you shop Menards. Plumbing, electrical appliances too, etc." Make sure you sing the whole thing, no shortcuts. ;)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:19 am

These are some of the dioramas I made while on quarantine. I've been collecting the frames, materials and various decorations for some time now. I just haven't been able to find time to get them made. Some even have LED lighting to make a better effect. Arts and crafts are a good way to pass time!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:46 am

Wow, you are quick! It would have taken me some time to put those together.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 am

Is that hay I see on the ground in some of them?