Olive's gas problem

Olive

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:20 pm

Thank you for all your help. I've started with the probiotics along with the other medicines. Will keep posting about her progress.

Olive

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:09 pm

Update: She has been on probios for a day and a half now. Her poop count seemed to have gone up. But that was till today evening. She seems to be pooping lesser now and I also noticed mucus in her poop.

It says on the forum, "Mucus in stool can point to an infection or bacteria in the intestinal track" (Link: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68360). So, does this apply to just the bad bacteria or the good ones as well? I was thinking if she has taken more probiotics than required and this is her system passing the extra stuff out?

Olive

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:00 pm

I also heard her squeaking when she was peeing. There was calcium in her urine as well. The urine levels seem to be a little lower than usual as well. All these seem to be pointing towards bladder stones?

It says on some of the forums that one can try removing the stones by increasing the water intake. Increased water intake will sometimes push the stones out of the body. Does it work?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:25 pm

Increased fluids can help flush small stones and grit, particularly with females, but not always. It depends on the size and location of the stone(s). You might find this helpful:
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

X-rays are the best way to rule out (or confirm) bladder stones.

Olive

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:31 am

About the mucus; Does it apply to good bacteria as well?

Olive

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:04 am

Update: I'm going to have her urine and stool tested tomorrow for a bacterial infection as well as get an x-ray done for bladder stones.

Quick question. What's the difference between trimethoprim and enrofloxacin? Can the two be used interchangeably?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:42 am

No, they are two different drugs. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (SMZ) is a combination of two antibiotics - one is a sulfa drug, and I'm not sure the class of drug of trimethoprim falls into - marketed as Bactrim. Enrofloxacin is different class of antibiotic (fluoroquinolone), marketed as Baytril. For bladder-related infections, SMZ/Bactrim is generally the drug of choice. It tends to be better tolerated than Baytril.

On the mucous...I would think it is more likely that there is a gut imbalance causing the mucous -- not that you're seeing "bacteria" (good or bad) being eliminated in the stools.

Olive

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:01 am

So, what you're essentially saying is that trimethoprim is used for urinary infections and enrofloxacin is used for bacterial infections? And what do you mean when you say Bactrim is better tolerated than Baytril?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:43 am

No, both antibiotics treat bacterial infections; they just treat different types. The type of bacteria typically found in urinary tract infections tends to respond better to Bactrim.

**Generally speaking** Bactrim is less hard on the gut. Do read:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

Olive

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Thank you. I'll update once I have the x-ray and reports.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 pm

One of the side effects of using antibiotics can be loss of appetite. Bactrim is much less likely to cause loss of appetite.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

Olive

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 am

Just got the x-ray done. I will get the result of the stool test by today evening and urine test by Tuesday. From first look (and even the technician at the lab said so) it seems like that we can rule out stones. But, on second look, (I think I am being overly skeptical), near the foot, in the side view, L, there is a small white circle. It seems like its a joint, since it is not being seen on the frontal scan, R.

The lab does not to x-ray reports and I simply do not trust the vets here who do not know how to deal with cavies. Can you please take a look at it and confirm? I think I am being overly skeptical. But, I really can't control it when it comes to my little baby.

Drive link to the x-ray images:

Note: Wanted to put the pictures directly on the forum, but I couldn't find an option to?

I have provided full pictures as well as zoomed in pictures for better understanding, but, please let me know if you need pictures with more clarity.